Author Topic: My first True Blue  (Read 5170 times)

boothrf

Re: My first True Blue
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »
Thanks HJK, I hope so!

I'm interested in your advice on when to cut into this baby. I noticed that you and Jeff had a good discussion recently on this topic and of course I would appreciate comments from any other forum members!

The cheese is nearly 60 days old, smells great and is showing no signs of being over ripe, at least externally. But you guys suggested testing at 60 days to make sure it didn't get over ripe? I was planning to leave it for 90 days but not sure now. Any advice would be much appreciated :)
Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:34:17 AM by Bob »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »
Hi Bob,
I have tried 2 different time's, one at 7-1/2 weeks and 12 weeks.
The seven and a half week cheese tasted moist and creamy and had a nice blue mold bite, I thought it was a little young but still a very edible cheese ^-^
after we vacuum packed and it had sat in the fridge each piece seemed to get consecutively better, a little sharper and more PR bite, my thought was I should have waited a full twelve weeks, but alas it didn't last very long anyway :P
The twelve week cheese had the recipe tweaked a wee bit and was aged at 89-91% RH and at a temp of 49º-54º it also had been left out at room temp at the beginning (about 65 or so degrees) for fifteen days, this one was dryer on the interior but it was still very creamy with a very nice sharp PR bite, I liked the moistness of the first cheese but preferred the bite of the twelve week cheese.
I have a three gallon  cheese ageing now that the recipe was tweaked to see if I could get a combination of moisture, sharpness and PR bite we liked :o
it has aged for only six weeks so far, we are shooting for twelve weeks again but we will see how it comes along in the taste department after eight and ten weeks, have couple of weeks to wait for the first sampling   :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

boothrf

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
Thanks HJK, good information.

My cheese is 60 days old now and the corners are getting soft. It feels like it is ripe and smells beautifully of PR. I think I will have to crack it open and taste it, as I don't want to over ripen it at this stage.

I'm interested in your vac packing option. Does the cheese continue to develop or does the vac pack stop all development? How long can you keep it in the vac pack? I tried vac packing a washed rind white mould previously and it just went slimy and inedible!  :(

Thanks for your comments,

Bob

boothrf

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »
 :) :) well at 63 days since make I decided to cut into my first true blue cheese. I was concerned about the corners getting quite soft and also a crack developed on one side, and didn't want all my TLC to be in vain. I'm very happy I cut into it tonight! While the centre is still a bit firm, the rest of the paste is very soft and beautifully ripe. The flavour is a beautiful rich, creamy blue, with some extra bite on the rind. Very, very happy with this result and have some learnings to apply to my next attempt. I :-)

Susie

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »
Nice job! I can't wait to try making a blue. Thanks for posting all these pictures and details. That is crucial for somebody like me!

boothrf

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:41 AM »
No worries Susie. This forum is great for sharing our experiences and learning new and better ways to make our cheeses. When you make your next cheese, share the experience with us so we can learn from you as well!

This blue is rapidly being consumed, I've had plenty of positive feed back from friends and family. Planning my next make soon.