Author Topic: belper knolle  (Read 218 times)

Offline cheesywoman

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
belper knolle
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:36:20 AM »
OK AMATEUR cheesy woman here.....learning how to get beyond only making chevre and trying other things I thought belper knolle was the cheese that beginners like me couldn't mess up. I was looking forward to seeing the end result and by week two instead of finding hardened balls of black pepper covered gems I find myself picking up fur covered cheese balls. I am having a hard time regulating temp though. I don't have a cheese cave and the closest thing I have is an enclosed metal cart. I thought even though I could not keep it exactly at 55-65 degrees I thought for sure it wouldn't matter. I know mold does grow on chevre if left to age and it is kind of a greyish mold if naturally doing it without penicillin or other white molds. So I guess my question is....is it doomed. Or do I let it continue. Is the mold a bad thing in this case? I know cheeses tend to mold I am still getting used to the ideas of mold. For me mold meant deal done but as I am exploring cheesing I am finding mold is good....kinda. Anyway....help. Thanks

Offline Gregore

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Re: belper knolle
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
Normally toxic molds do not grow on cheese  , as per our guru here Linux boy in a very old thread.

but with pepper on the outside I would have no clue .   How ever the inside will be good .

Offline Gregore

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
 I should add that it is possible to age cheese in less than ideal temp conditions , and it will certainly give better results the larger the cheese .

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 137
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »
You got some white furry mold on your Belper Nolle. It's a product of the pepper and harmless.  Just brush it off with a tooth brush.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time!  http://alewis64.blogspot.com/

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 136
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

Offline wattlebloke

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:22:18 PM »
It sounds to me as though the humidity in your metal box might be a bit high, especially for the start of aging when the cheese balls are needing to dry out a bit. When my belper knolles get fluffy I mist them with vodka. That keeps the mould under control for a week or two.

Offline Gregore

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
I like this idea of misting with vodka and will try it

Thanks and have a cheese