Author Topic: Baking with Cream Cheese  (Read 80 times)

Offline BenzieCheeser

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Baking with Cream Cheese
« on: Yesterday at 10:25:04 AM »
Hi all. My first thread on this forum. I've been making cream cheese for cheesecake. Room temperature Meso culture and animal rennet, allow 15 hours to ripen, then drain in cloth for 12 hours.

The homemade cream cheese while delicious,  I have found hard to bake a cheesecake with. The cream cheese wants to release more water during the mixing of the cheesecake batter, resulting in a watery batter. Commercial cream cheese has guar gum, and maybe that helps for baking? Maybe cream cheese destined for a cheesecake simply needs to be drained more or even pressed at the end?

Secondly, commercial cream cheese is much smoother than home made. It would make for a finer cake. I have seen a few videos where the acid treated culture (like Paneer) is run thru a food processor after coagulation to reduce the size of the grains. I'm hoping folks here might have an opinion.

Thanks!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 160
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Baking with Cream Cheese
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:27:10 AM »
Benzie, you've asked an interesting question, one that lies outside my experience - I look forward to seeing what answers others may have. But meanwhile, welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

Online AeonSam

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:37:05 AM »
I've found homemade cream cheese to be more clumpy than commercial as well. Guar gum is an emulsifier so that makes it smooth for sure. You can drain your cheese longer to get rid of the moisture and you can always add cream back if it gets too dry and then process or blend it for more smoothness.

Sam

Offline BenzieCheeser

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:03:22 PM »
Drain longer for less water, add back in some cream and into the food processor we go.

I was wondering about processing it afterwards.

Thanks a lot for the thoughts, Sam-

Offline BenzieCheeser

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:27:36 PM »
Guar Gum seems like a great addition. Used in Ice Cream and Yogurt also.

Would anyone have an idea when the guar would be added? I would think after ripening, after draining. Then process and add the Gum? That sound reasonable?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:54:34 PM by BenzieCheeser »