Author Topic: Belper Knolle  (Read 128 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 100
  • Default personal text
Belper Knolle
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
Jim from NEC just posted a make for Belper Knolle, and I have to try this! Just a few days ago I made some fresh cheese out of the whole milk from my favorite Jersey, and ended up with way more than I know what to do with. I think it will be just right for this recipe, which adds pink salt, and fresh garlic to the finished cheese, then it is rolled in cracked black pepper, making balls a little larger than golf balls. Dried at low air temp (a problem for me in California), then into the cave - he specifies 75 to 80% humidity (another problem for me since I tend to go over 90%), and age for about 6 weeks.

We will see!!
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Belper Knolle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »
Just had fun making these!  I used ground up garlic I dried last season, and the pink salt as specified. I ran out of the pepper, and wanted to try some variety, so two got coated with smoked paprika!

I am concerned about drying them as my "cave" runs 88-90% humidity. I could let them set on a counter at room temp which is about 68 degrees, and rather dry here in California, or I could put them in the cave at 55 degrees with a desiccant container close by. Any suggestions?
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
I take it you used coarse ground pepper Susan?  Does the garlic have to be dried?  How about the minced stuff in the jar?  Looks like fun!!! ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
Here is the link to the full recipe....
http://www.cheesemaking.com/BKnolle.html
Jim says he uses fresh garlic. I was nervous about it, and only had dried on hand anyway...
The peppercorns were toasted in a dry pan, then coarse ground in a coffee grinder I reserve for spices.
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »
Thanks a million!  Looks like a fun project!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time!