Author Topic: Feta got too warm  (Read 1754 times)

T-Bird

Feta got too warm
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
My most recent batch of feta (2 gal), after "hardening" for 3 days at room temp, has been in brine for about 10 days in my outside fridge. Day before yesterday, the door was left slightly ajar and the temp of the brine hit 70 deg F for a max of 24 hrs. I brine in whey with 1 cup/gal kosher salt added- whatever % that is- I think 6.5%? Anyway do yall think It will still be safe to eat in about 30 days which is how much longer I intended to age it? Or should I chunk it? Or how will I know?

Offline dukegus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Feta got too warm
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
Anyway do yall think It will still be safe to eat in about 30 days which is how much longer I intended to age it? Or should I chunk it? Or how will I know?

Was it raw or pasteurized milk?
Especially if it's pasteurized, there is a secret test that you do. It involves 3 steps.

You take the feta cheese out and you look at it. Carefully. If all is good you go to the next step.
You bring it close to your nose and smell it and finally you taste a small piece of it. :p

*You can try that with any kind of ingredient or food.

T-Bird

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »
Milk was pasteurized. So what you are saying, "if it smells good-eat it!" A motto I live my life by!

Offline dukegus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
Milk was pasteurized. So what you are saying, "if it smells good-eat it!" A motto I live my life by!

I love this moto :) :)
Of course it should never taste bitter too