Author Topic: First time question:  (Read 4935 times)

onnalee13

First time question:
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »
Hi y'all,
Tonight was my first time making butter. I skimmed about a quart of cream from three gallons fresh raw milk and using my wonderful blender with the dough blade, ran it until it looked chunky. Here's the question... The end resultng butter was fluffy. Should I have let it process longer to make it less fluffy and ' harder'. I washed it with cold water and a spatula and it was oily as butter should be. I guess I'll see how it behaves tomorrow morning. Any thoughts on the consistency for when you should pull it out to wash?
Thanks

TraditionalGoats

Re: First time question:
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:36:42 AM »
Hi,

My cultured butter tends to be a bit more fluffy or whipped looking and lighter, even after washing and chilling.  If I let my regular butter go a bit longer than needed it gets fluffy and soft too.  It tastes good but never gets really hard after that point.  Spreadable not at all like the store bought stuff which I was told has a hardener added to it.

Tracy

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
Butter here tends to be fluffier when the weather is warmer.

mabel4gs

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
I've made butter a few times now from store bought cream and Aroma B culture.
I churn it in a cuisinart and it does get fluffy at first, but then after a couple of minutes you can see the butter milk start to splash and seperate from the butter. After draining and putting it in the fridge it gets hard.
Perhaps it needs to be churned for a longer time?
I'm pretty new at this so I'm not sure it the methods I'm using are transferable to yours. Hope it is helpful!

Butterviking

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Churn by hand at a temp under 15 degrees Celsius and it will separate really nicely.

fredthecat

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 03:51:05 AM »
How does homemade butter taste? I'm interested in making it.