Author Topic: Will the real Havarti please stand up. Help needed.  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Will the real Havarti please stand up. Help needed.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Time for a Dutch press. Using a 5 lb weight, I can press with 80 lbs pressure. If I go to 10 lbs, then the pressing power doubles to 160 lbs. Easy peasy.

I believe forum member smolt1 sells them rather affordably here. No, I don't get a commission.  ;)

There are quite a few threads on presses and Dutch presses specifically.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »
I borrowed one from a friend once, but whenever I put a weight on it,, it was out of balance and fell over sideways.  I didn't think about how it worked, or I might have realized that the arm creates torque, just like any other lever.

Dulcelife

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »
Well, I completed the Havarti make as planned.  If any one should have creamy havarti this is it.

I cut the cooking time in half based on pH targets.  I worked my pressing up to nearly 100lbs. and I intend to light-vac-pack (hand vacuum variety) just as soon as the surface dries.

What kind of press do you have that you can go to 100 lbs? One of mine won't go over 50, and the other needs weights stacked on it--I'd never get to 100 lbs!

I have a couple of custom made stainless spring presses with 100lb springs.  I have resisted the temptation for a dutchie simply because I have had zero issues thus far even with makes that logic says require more like my cantal.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 06:29:50 AM »
Once you find a piece of equipment that works, it makes the job so much more fun and relaxing.

I love the Dutch press I built. It allows maximum flexibility. I designed it so I could fit my big double boiler under it and press "in the pot". Works as designed.  ;)

There are at least two Dutch press builders on the forum who have created really beautiful presses for sale. We're so lucky to have them on the forum.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

rosawoodsii

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
I love the Dutch press I built. It allows maximum flexibility. I designed it so I could fit my big double boiler under it and press "in the pot". Works as designed.  ;

-Boofer-

Could you post a photo of your press, Boofer?  And another with your double boiler under it?  I would love to see that.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
Could you post a photo of your press, Boofer?  And another with your double boiler under it?  I would love to see that.
Here's my recent make.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

rosawoodsii

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »
That is one impressive press!  Pretty good looking cheese, too.  ^-^

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »
Boofers press inspired me so I went and built this one 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

bbracken677

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
Quite the project! I am highly impressed at the finished piece with all the steps along the way   :)

rosawoodsii

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »
Beautiful press! That's for some serious cheesemaking.  My two milk goats give me enough to do a couple of 4-5 lb cheeses a week.  I'd have to increase my herd--and my milking time--to use a press that big!  :P   

Dulcelife

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Here's my recent make.

-Boofer-

That is one good looking pimple cheese Boof.  Nice monster jam press too.

margaretsmall

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
I too am very impressed by the press and hope that my DH will soon feel well enough to make me one. However, my query here is about pressing havarti (my new iPad, hardly under control, just tried to change havarti to navaratalova!) I thought havarti is pressed lightly if at all, not at weights as high as 100lb - have I got this wrong?
Margaret

rosawoodsii

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »
The havarti recipe I have, which was passed on to the Maine Cheese Guild from a Dave Potter workshop, has no weight at all.  It's pressed by its own weight.  I had another, same press instructions.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 05:49:41 AM »
Using my press, I'd probably use the weight of the lever arm and piston which is 11 lbs. I some cases, I would press in the pot and use a 5 lb weight and not even use the press. It all depends on what the cheese style dictates.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!