Author Topic: pop cooler as cheese cave  (Read 931 times)

Offline CdnMorganGal

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
pop cooler as cheese cave
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »
Here in Costa Rica, small fridges without freezer compartments are not available, and wine coolers, when they can be found are outrageously expensive.  But - there are a lot of used pop coolers for sale.  I know I would need to black out the glass doors, and I have an external thermostat in case its needed to override the coolers settings.  What other considerations, pros & cons are there with this idea?

Thx.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Caseus

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Cheese is good
Re: pop cooler as cheese cave
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
I don't know what a pop cooler is, but if it has a compressor and you can put some sort of controller on it (Johnson, Ranco, wired-in PID) to regulate the temperature, then the other considerations are air movement to ensure consistent temperature throughout, and humidity control and/or the use of mini-caves.   If you don't want to black out the glass door, you could just cut a sheet of insulation board to fit.  That would serve the dual purpose of improving insulation and blocking the light.

Offline CdnMorganGal

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
A pop cooler is a refrigerator unit with opening glass doors and shelving that holds bottles of cola and such. Convenience stores typically have them, you reach in and grab your pop.

Offline Caseus

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Cheese is good
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
That sounds like it would make a perfect cave. 

Offline Bear and Bunny cheese

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • If it feels good, brew it!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
Hey gang,
  I just purchased such a pop cooler for use as a cheese fridge.  It has a glass door on it.  Could anyone tell me the reason why the glass should be blocked out?  How does light affect aging cheese?
Nathan
Nathan

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.