Author Topic: pop cooler as cheese cave  (Read 1859 times)

CdnMorganGal

pop cooler as cheese cave
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
Here in Costa Rica, small fridges without freezer compartments are not available, and wine coolers, when they can be found are outrageously expensive.  But - there are a lot of used pop coolers for sale.  I know I would need to black out the glass doors, and I have an external thermostat in case its needed to override the coolers settings.  What other considerations, pros & cons are there with this idea?

Thx.

Caseus

Re: pop cooler as cheese cave
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
I don't know what a pop cooler is, but if it has a compressor and you can put some sort of controller on it (Johnson, Ranco, wired-in PID) to regulate the temperature, then the other considerations are air movement to ensure consistent temperature throughout, and humidity control and/or the use of mini-caves.   If you don't want to black out the glass door, you could just cut a sheet of insulation board to fit.  That would serve the dual purpose of improving insulation and blocking the light.

CdnMorganGal

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »
A pop cooler is a refrigerator unit with opening glass doors and shelving that holds bottles of cola and such. Convenience stores typically have them, you reach in and grab your pop.

Caseus

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »
That sounds like it would make a perfect cave. 

Offline Bear and Bunny cheese

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • If it feels good, brew it!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Hey gang,
  I just purchased such a pop cooler for use as a cheese fridge.  It has a glass door on it.  Could anyone tell me the reason why the glass should be blocked out?  How does light affect aging cheese?
Nathan
Nathan