Author Topic: my first jarlsberg aging  (Read 3166 times)

mbox

my first jarlsberg aging
« on: November 06, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »
Hi , i recently made my first jarlsberg and posted about it here http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10300.0.html
what i am missing is a bit more swelling and i might think it is a bit on the orange in color? It smells great but worry about these mentioned factors. Anything that i should change in the aging? The rind is feeling dry maybe a bit sticky.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:14:44 PM by mbox »

Alpkäserei

Re: my first jarlsberg aging
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:47 AM »
show a side on picture so that we can see the swelling better.

As for the color, that is probably just a result of the particular strain of b. linens that have colonized your rind (this is good, you want those little buggers) Some will be yellow, some will be golden brown, some will be red, and some are orange. Deep orange can also be the fault of over drying, but since you say it is sticky that makes me say it is orange b. linens. These will make the cheese kind of sticky, but later on they dry out.

mbox

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
show a side on picture so that we can see the swelling better.

As for the color, that is probably just a result of the particular strain of b. linens that have colonized your rind (this is good, you want those little buggers) Some will be yellow, some will be golden brown, some will be red, and some are orange. Deep orange can also be the fault of over drying, but since you say it is sticky that makes me say it is orange b. linens. These will make the cheese kind of sticky, but later on they dry out.

Hi/Gruezi Alpkaese  ;D ,

I will forward a picture from sideview shortly ...it did some swelling before , but not much ...it lets me assume i will perhaps get tiny holes like a Tilsiter has ...what i do certainly wonder is the b.linens. How did they come ? I used the recipe from 200 recipes including using thermophilic starter ( which will on next attempt be meso) so there is only propionic bacteria but no b.linens in that recipe ..so, if these are b.linens(wherever they came from) and small holes this would be a Tilsiter cheese ,no?

Oh well, it will still be cheese and it smells great too and hopefully taste great also ..yes, it ain't dried out , its kinda sticky .

Thanks/Danke Mbox

mbox

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »
here the sideview pics

Alpkäserei

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:17:05 AM »

Many wash techniques are designed to benefit wild linens and let them grow to keep local molds out.
Hi/Gruezi Alpkaese  ;D ,

Grües Gott

You do not have to put b. linens into anything. The only advantage I see to adding linens to a recipe is if you want a particular colored strain (like red linens) otherwise, you will wind up with them pretty easily without even trying.

I do not see much swelling, so that means few eyes. So maybe it will be like a Tilsiter. A Tilsiter if I remember right is a washed curd cheese like Jarlsberg. Tilsiter is a good cheese, so I wouldn't be disappointed to get one  ;)

Tschüss

mbox

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Just cut the jarlsberg and it tastes very nice....the holes were as expected , small.
Here some pics before i go back to eat some more :-)

Mbox

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
That looks good, even with the small holes. I am still waiting for mine to expand...
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

bbracken677

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »
Nice looking cheese!  Well done!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
Good for you 8) I hope my Emmentaler gets some eye's it doesn't seem to be swelling much :-\
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 02:30:43 AM »
Hope my Jarlsberg looks that good when it's done.  Great job!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos