Author Topic: Rub My Tomme (#6)  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Rub My Tomme (#6)
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »
I picked up 6 gallons of wonderful, rich, yellow summer milk on Thursday. What to do with it? I thought about using 4 gallons to make some kind of cheese and then devote the other 2 gallons to another blue, Reblochon, or ... what?

I decided I wanted to go for a repeat performance of one of my Tommes. I would make a 3 gallon version. I kept everything the same as Tomme #4 except for not using the mycodore, using mother culture cubes, and the use of a different mould.

I had a choice of several raw milk dairies and chose a new one for me. Although it cost $11.99 per gallon (instead of $9.99), it was fresher with a later pull date.

Initial milk pH was 6.71. It came out of the press at pH5.26 and was brined for 10 hours. It came out of the brine at midnight and went into a minicave to air-dry.

Friday was to be a long, long, long and busy day for me. I made the Tomme and then continued and made a caraway cheese modeled after the Leiden I had made previously.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

Re: Rub My Tomme (#6)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:22:16 AM »
Very nice Boofer.  I can't imagine making two different cheeses in the same day.  That would be a long one.  I'm very impressed with the rich colour you get from your milk. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:11:40 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, I won't be doing two cheeses in a day any time soon.

I was very anxious to get some summer milk. You can see the beta carotene practically oozes from it. I'd like to do more cheeses with it while it's here...after awhile.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
Nice work Boofer, like Jeff, I would't dare to do two different cheeses in one day!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
Into the cave today to begin rind development. I'll be washing with 3% brine dosed with PLA.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
So, any update photo's on this one?  I would love to see how the PLA rind develops as you go.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
Sorry, Jeff, I had vacuum-sealed this back in July after a bit of linens coverage.

Here's what I did today.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »
Looks good.  So PLA isn't "fuzzy", at least not when bagged. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I had sampled this two months ago. Today seemed like a decent occasion to cut into it.

Removing the cheese from the vacuum bag, the rind, which had been developed with PLA (linens, Geo, DH), was moist and pasty. It had a tendency to smear and come off on my fingers if I wasn't careful. The characteristic linens smell was there. :)

The first cut was very encouraging. I cut the first half into thirds and then sliced and sampled one third. Oh boy! A slight tang...complex, full flavor from the raw milk...creamy with a pleasing golden color. Texture is right on target...somewhere between semi-soft and semi-hard. Easily a sandwich cheese or one that can be enjoyed with fruit and crackers. Very nice.

I developed the rind to a point and then vacuum-sealed this cheese. That worked very well. PLA is my friend.

I'll put this cheese in the WIN column. I'm very happy with the result.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

bbracken677

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »

The first cut was very encouraging. I cut the first half into thirds and then sliced and sampled one third. Oh boy! A slight tang...complex, full flavor from the raw milk...creamy with a pleasing golden color. Texture is right on target...somewhere between semi-soft and semi-hard. Easily a sandwich cheese or one that can be enjoyed with fruit and crackers. Very nice.

I'll put this cheese in the WIN column. I'm very happy with the result.

-Boofer-

Congrats! I like cheeses that can be enjoyed with fruit and crackers....    :D

A cheese for you, Boofer!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
AAAWWWHHH! cheese erotica on thanksgiving :P Gettin hungry already :o
you make such nice cheeses  :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/