Author Topic: Hello from FL  (Read 2075 times)

BVickery

Hello from FL
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »
Greetings from Northern FL where the weather has no idea what season it is!

The wife and I are looking forward to making many types of cheeses:  Hard aged cheeses for me, and she likes the softer types.

Now the biggest question/problem we are having is trying to find out what we are doing wrong since we can not get any sort of curd to form after warming and such. 

Likesspace

Re: Hello from FL
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:29:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
I have to say that I've been getting a bit of a perverse sort of pleasure this year from the cool weather you southerners have been getting. Since we have been hovering near zero and below (in Illinois) for the past couple of weeks, it is nice seeing the rest of the country enjoying some of this good stuff.  ;D
Today was beautiful though and it's only supposed to get better for the next week or so. I guess temps in the mid 50's to mid 60's will work until it gets REALLY nice out.
As for the curd set problem you've been having, I'd check out the different boards that are on this site.
Choose the board that relates to the type of cheese you've been trying to make and I can guarantee you that you will have plenty of advice that is designed to help you with your problems.
Again, welcome to the forum and rest assured that you have found the best cheesemaking site on the net.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:35:46 AM »
Welcome. In the forum appropriate to your kind of cheese post details about your process and ingredients list.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:43:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum BVickery and to the wonderful wide world of Cheese Making!

I believe you are our first Member in Florida USA, so I've just added Florida to our list.

I'm in Houston and same problem, North wind means cold, south wind off the gulf means warm and humid, changes almost every day!

While many of the members here make many types of cheeses, some are experts in certain areas, me I like soft cheeses and almost never look in the Cheddar Making Board.

Thus, as Carter said, if you like, please post what you are doing and with what ingredients in the appropriate Cheese Making Type Board and I'm sure you will get lots of help ;D.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:46:29 AM by Webmaster »

BVickery

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and already searched the cheddar board and then posted our problems.

As far as cold, I used to live up in the Upper Pen. of Michigan -50F w/ windchill on a cloudless day is just strange sometimes.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:46:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum
Wow, from the UP to Florida, that is quite a change.  When I was a kid my family would go up on and annual fishing trip up in Iron County.  Three weeks of battling Northerns, Walleyes, Smallies and mosquitos that were big enough to carry you off.  I do miss it.
CC

Tea

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »
Good morning BVickery and welcome to the forum.