Author Topic: Why do we except this stuff?  (Read 1683 times)

qdog1955

Why do we except this stuff?
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
I often wonder why Americans -----and maybe other places------have come to except the unnecessary additives in the foods they eat. I can now find only one brand of half and half, without caragenean in it. That's a type of seaweed, in case you didn't know----and it shows up in Ice cream, yogurt, fruit bars, all kinds of stuff. Speaking of yogurt----how about guar gum, locust bean gum, corn starch----not to mention chemical compounds I couldn't even spell.
  My wife, yells at me if I start to read the ingredient label-----"stop it, I don't want to know"-----is that the attitude we have all come to? No one asks why are they putting "SEAWEED" in my yogurt?
  Just food for thought----with just a bit of locust bean gum for texture. ;)
Qdog

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Why do we except this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
Mmmmm sounds delish  :o
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:20:50 PM »
I don't buy those things. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
We had stricct rules i Denmark regarding additives. After joining the European Community (only partly member though), the rules are being harmonized - hence more additives are allowed.

I really hate it when I see a bag of pizza topping that has never even meet cheese but pretends to be. Sometimes it's a protein powder mixed with vegetable fat or the milk fat has been replaced with palm oil. :-(

Or what about chicken breasts that have been pumped with 30% water. Or what about the huge amounts of products with taste of vanilla - a 100% synthetic taste.

It's sad that people accept to be cheated with fake "food" every single day.

:-) Danbo

Mermaid

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
In the US I think the popularization of Greek style yogurt with a thicker texture has led to industrial yogurt companies adding thickeners. Also they probobly just take milk and add thickening additives and probiotics instead of the fermentation process achieving this. Kind of weird. It drives me crazy when I'm traveling away from the farm and can't find whole milk plain yogurt. It's all full of sugar and low fat. :( the worst!!

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
Besides, if people assume that only eating food without fat or not much fat is healthier, they aren't necessarily going to flourish themselves. I do imagine the health craze is profitable for dairies though, as they can sell low fat yogurt and make more butter with that cream.

qdog1955

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
Al ,   I think that's the whole point----if a lot more people would refuse to buy the products, the manufacturer would wake up and pay attention-----but when it gets to the point, that every producer is adding the same garbage and there is no competition------that leaves the consumer with 3 options-----do without------get in line with their program-----or make your own-----I guess, as cheese nerds---when push comes to shove-------WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN------so we are fortunate in that aspect------am I smelling the stink of CONSPIRACY here? >:D
 Danbo---I'm really sorry to here that Denmark is following the same "road to progress" 
I wonder how it is for the folks down under?
Qdog

Kern

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 12:59:16 AM »
I often wonder why Americans -----and maybe other places------have come to except the unnecessary additives in the foods they eat. I can now find only one brand of half and half, without caragenean in it. That's a type of seaweed, in case you didn't know----and it shows up in Ice cream, yogurt, fruit bars, all kinds of stuff. Speaking of yogurt----how about guar gum, locust bean gum, corn starch----not to mention chemical compounds I couldn't even spell.

Caragenean is a thickener.  It is probably harmless as a food additive but likely has some weird effect on the use of half and half for other applications like cheese making.  We can rejoice that unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine is not used in food.  However, it is present in some wild mushrooms!   :o

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:16 AM »
If I may wade into this discussion from the other side of the Pacific.  The labelling laws all over are such a load of crap!!  and the allowable food additives are not just in the US though they do seem more prevalent - or maybe just more visible.  A case in point when you see made in America what do you expect ??  Would you believe that there are 5 Green triangle symbols with a kangaroo on it meaning Made in Australia but no they don't mean the same thing.
http://www.australianmade.com.au/why-buy-australian-made/about-the-logo/

Amazing that a fish product where the fish is caught in the North Atlantic by Korean Trawlers, offloaded and processed in China, shipped and crumbed in New Zealand, shipped frozen to Australia to be ONLY packaged can be called "Australian Made" because "50% or more of the cost of making it can be attributed to Australian materials and/or production processes" WHAT A LOAD OF ABSOLUTE RUBBISH !

I don't know about you'all but I find it embarrassing ....

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »
Mal: Agree!!!