Author Topic: Understand differnece between cheese type  (Read 7691 times)

tinysar

Re: Understand differnece between cheese type
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
So you need to be able to sort pictures of cheese into categories, as part of your job, but you are hampered by the fact that India only makes 2 types of cheese and therefore you have no idea about different cheese types?

You are not going to be able to do this just by looking at a photo of a cheese. For example, as people have already mentioned, not all cheeses which have a white colour are called "white cheese". You will be able to get some clues as to cheese type from the ingredients list and nutritional information on the packaging - this will tell you the fat content, whether it is salted, and perhaps what kind of cultures were used. But manufacturers don't always provide detailed information, especially about culture types. You also have to understand that nutritional information (fat content, dry matter, etc) is not an absolute guide - one cheese may have more water and less protein then another, but both might be called "mozzarella".

If I understand your task, I think the simplest way to do this would be to get the brand name of the cheese you are trying to classify and Google it - this should take you to the manufacturers website where you can get some information about the product.

p.s. "tzatziki" is not a cheese - it is a herb, cucumber and yoghurt dip, somewhat like raita.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Understand differnece between cheese type
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
What, exactly, is your job and who gave it to you? ???
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos