Author Topic: Understand differnece between cheese type  (Read 7693 times)

pragnesh_50

Understand differnece between cheese type
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »
Hi,

Honestly i have never tasted any cheese in my life.

But My work profile has make me to think about cheese.

I am working for a company which gives me images for variety of cheese.

I have to decide about type of cheese . e.g is it CREAM CHEESE, WHITE CHEESE, NATURAL RIND OR WASHED RIND, BLUE, OR HARD ETC....

Could you guys please help me to differentiate between white & Cream cheese?

Also provide useful list of links for cheese understanding

Regards,
Pragnesh

linuxboy

Re: Understand differnece between cheese type
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
The best way to learn about cheese is to taste it. This is a challenging exercise for us, to answer in the way you have asked the question. It's like trying to explain the difference between the waters of the Pacific and Atlantic to someone who has never seen water. There are a million ways to answer that question.

pragnesh_50

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
Hi,

The best way to learn about cheese is to taste it. This is a challenging exercise for us, to answer in the way you have asked the question. It's like trying to explain the difference between the waters of the Pacific and Atlantic to someone who has never seen water. There are a million ways to answer that question.

You are right ... i am form india and it is East part of the world where teh cheese culture is really less.

We hardly find some cheese like Panneir, Quark (known as Shrikhan in india)etc

But please help me :'(

Regards,
Pragnesh

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
Can you ask a more specific question, please?

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
An example of our difficulty is this, most cheese is white to slightly yellow when not dyed with annatto. It doesn't affect flavor, it's purely visual. However there are also cheeses made with white mold, sometimes referred to as bloomy rind. While cream cheese is white, it is not usually lumped in with other white cheeses as that term more often refers to rennet coagulated or pressed cheeses. Also, most washed rind cheeses are orange on the exterior, but not all. We'd really need to see the pictures to better assess and demonstrate to you the differences. Why do they not provide you with descriptions of the cheeses?

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
If you dont have access to cheese shops or cant find any You should contact the french and british embassy's, I'm possitive they will help you locate a cheese importer in india who supplies them.
As india is such a big country, you might need to use refrigirated mail to get the cheese to your house.

pragnesh_50

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:49:23 AM »
HI

I have added 2 prod imaes.

1.Dannon Bosbes 3% Fat - i think it is white cheese (like Quesso Blanco)

2.L'orginal Tartare (cream cheese as it has fat of more than 12%)

Could you guys help me to clasifiy them for type of chesse?

Regards,
pragnesh

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:08 AM »
dude, that's just dannon yogurt, and the second is a spreadable cheese product with herbs in it. They're not even "real" cheeses. Did you taste each? I still don't even know how to answer your question. There are dozens of way to classify cheese... by family, by moisture, by fat, by history, by technology/prep, etc. What do you want to find out and why? Why is the category important?

Frotte La Tomme

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 06:19:45 AM »
I think you are translating fromage blanc directly into `white cheese`.  It makes no sense in english.  Fromage blanc is what we call a lactic type of cheese.  After being whipped it can have the appearance as yogurt, but is not the same fabrication.

pragnesh_50

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »
HI have following instructions for white cheese :

WHITE CHEESE
These cheeses are white. They are made from cow’s milk, goat’s milk, sheep’s milk and are not aged. Rather than adding rennet, which is used to create some cheese, the curd is formed by adding lactic starter to the milk.
The name on the packaging can vary. It can be one of the values stated in the list below. But it can also be that the name on the packaging is: ‘verse kaas’, ‘fromage frais’, ‘fromage blanc’, ‘plattekaas’ or ‘kwark’.
They are eaten in the same manner as yoghurt, mostly spoonable, and sometimes used in recipes.

If ‘verse kaas’ or ‘fromage frais’ is stated, please take a look at the percentage of fat stated on the packaging. If the percentage of fat on the finished product is higher than 12%, it should be a cream cheese.

Values:
   FROMAGE BLANC/PLATTEKAAS (if claim on packaging)
   SUISSE (if claim on packaging)
   DEMI SEL (if claim on packaging)
   MAQUEE (if claim on packaging)
   KWARK (if claim on packaging)
   COTTAGE CHEESE (if claim on packaging)
   FAISELLE (if claim on packaging)
   TZATZIKI (if claim on packaging)
   WHITE CHEESE (if product is similar to description stated here above, but doesn’t have any claim on the packaging that exists in this list)
   NO WHITE CHEESE (fill out this value if the product is not this type of cheese)

The values stated in the list are a claim on the packaging. If there is no claim on the packaging, but it is a similar type of cheese please state the value WHITE CHEESE.

CREAM CHEESE

This cheese type also called soft cheese is a sweet, soft, mild-tasting, white cheese, with a fat percentage on the finished product that is higher than 12%. Cream cheese is not naturally matured and is meant to be consumed fresh and almost always packaged in a plastic container. Cream cheese is mostly spreadable on bread and toasts, or used in recipes.
This characteristic should be filled out when there is a claim on the packaging stating: cream cheese, ‘verse kaas’, ‘smeerkaas’, ‘fromage frais’.

Values
   CANCOILLOTTE (if claim on packaging)
   FETA (if claim on packaging)
   MOZZARELLA (if claim on packaging)
   RICOTTA (if claim on packaging)
   MASCARPONE
   CREAM CHEESE (if product is similar to description stated here above, but doesn’t have any claim on the packaging that exists in this list)
   NO CREAM CHEESE (fill out this value if the product is not this type of cheese)

The values stated in the list are a claim on the packaging. If there is no claim on the packaging, but it is a similar type of cheese please state the value CREAM CHEESE.

Regards,
Pragnesh

pragnesh_50

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
HI

Could you just read the above definations given as above for WHITE & CREAM CHEESE?

We have vary minor difference like in white cheese Fat on Dry matter is really low (less than 12%) and if it is more than 12% it is CREAM CHEESE.

This fat content criteria is only if we have indication on pack such as ‘verse kaas’ or ‘fromage frais’

Could you just explain in broad sence with examples about the white cheese as given above?

Regards,
Prangesh

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
I do not understand your lists. It follows no standardized methodology or identity. For example, mozzarella is in no way a cream cheese.

Could you just explain in broad sence with examples about the white cheese as given above?
Examples of what? You posted two categories and have examples that are not correct, and then want us to fit two products into two categories, when there are better ways (such as in USA, part 133) that are more standardized to categorize the products.

Frotte La Tomme

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »
For example, mozzarella is in no way a cream cheese.
I agree, and, although it does have the appearance of the color white in it, it is not a white cheese.

Tomer1

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:13:28 PM »
Prangesh I think your really confusing and slightly frustrating everyone so I'l try and give a slightly inaccurate but simple base :
Basic Fermented milk (not really cheese) such as yogurt,kefir,buttermilk.
Fresh cheeses - spreadable cheese such as "white"=fromage blanc and cream cheese and you have firm cheeses such as muzzarella,penir,feta,ricota,chevre)
You have aged soft cheeses (contain moulds which ripen the cheese) such as blue cheese and camambert.
And lastly you have aged hard cheeses such as gouda,parmassan,cheddar.

You should start buying and tasting cheese instead of just asking about it.    ^-^
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:17:52 PM by Tomer1 »

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
We need a common starting point for categories. You can find these classifications with a basic search. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_cheese. After this, we can have a more meaningful discussion. I am still not sure what your question is. Do you want to be able to categorize a picture of a cheese into a category/group? Identify the properties of a category? Something else?