Author Topic: Raw Milk Cheddar Recipe?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Missy

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
Raw Milk Cheddar Recipe?
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »
Does anyone have a recipe for a cheddar-like cheese that would be considered a raw milk cheese? 

Also, does homemade cheese melt like storebought cheese?

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Wayne Harris

• Wine and Cheesemaker
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 53
  • Wayne Harris
Re: Raw Milk Cheddar Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »
I think most recipes can use raw milk.  The only thing I would suggest is that the CaCL2 might not be required as the milk was never pasturized and, that you may need a bit of extra effort to "top stir" your milk in order to blend the cream at the top back in.

Moisture and meltability is whole 'nother matter.  Meltable cheese is a cheese that has moisture and a certain plasticity to it's texture. Making a meltable cheese is a combination of cheese type and fine tuning your cheese making process. (not all chesses are really meltable, but i assume here you refer to cheddar) Achieving consitantly meltable cheddar cheese one of my personal goals.  (So far, my results are mixed.)
Wayne A. Harris - in vino veritas

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
Re: Raw Milk Cheddar Recipe?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »
I believe there are quite a few cheddar recipes in this forum. As Wayne said all recipes are usually meant for raw milk that is the holy grail of milk as far as cheese makers.
Life is like a box of chocolates sometimes too much rennet makes you kill people.