Author Topic: Yoghurt culture/starter.  (Read 2292 times)

cheesydude

Yoghurt culture/starter.
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
I have a family friend's mother who makes the most incredible laban (yoghurt in Arabic)...she's been using a starter which is quite amazing....
it gives the yoghurt a beautiful "fermented" taste which reminds me of yeast, tingles slighly on the tongue....the yoghurt is sourish and a little salty...

She then uses this Yoghurt to make her own Labaneh, which ages more, and tastes even more fermented and amazing.

Is there a way to imitate this without using her actual starter? to my basic understanding, this unique taste comes down to the bacterias developed over time in her circumstances and area...and are called "Heirloom cultures"....which are hard to imitate...

But any experiences or understanding would be awesome.

hoeklijn

Re: Yoghurt culture/starter.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:34 AM »
I can't say about the yoghurt culture since I've no experience with that, but I used to make "mother culture" for my cheese. I guess you can do the same with a bit of the yoghurt:
Have a liter of pasturized milk in a sterialized jar that you can close, add the culture to it (in your case a spoon or two of the yoghurt), leave it for 12 hours undisturbed in a shaded place on room temperature, leave it in the fridge for 12 hours and make ice cubes of it. At that point it should be almost as thick as yoghurt (at least with the cheese culture).

cheesydude

Re: Yoghurt culture/starter.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
I think i understand what you're saying...so...
1) take out ypghurt, and put in sterilised jar...
2)put that in cool area in the shade for 12 hours
3)Take this and then put it in the fridge for another 12 hours.
VOILA?
Since this is yoghurt, and not milk, what changes should i expect to the yoghurt??