Author Topic: Soil PH meter suitable?  (Read 2290 times)

Banjoza

Soil PH meter suitable?
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »
Hello, I've been lurking for ages (this is a terrific site) and now need to ask a question. I would be obliged if any forum members could give me their opinion about using an ordinary (cheap) probe type ph meter that is normally used to test soil ph.

The advantage for me is that they are readily available and CHEAP - the only other affordable option for me would be the swimming-pool type tester.  I haven't tried to price those yet.

Many thanks for all the information everyone is so generously willing to share on this board.
Lorna
(SA)

Tomer1

Re: Soil PH meter suitable?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
Id skip a cheaper unreliable meter and test the titratable acidity of the whey.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
Don't do it. You won't be able to get much usable data and it will likely only lead to frustration. Tomer has an excellent suggestion. A TA kit is cheap and very effective with a little practice.

Check http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2586.msg21615.html#msg21615 and the document I wrote if you need help with how to use TA.

Banjoza

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »
Many thanks Tomer and Linuxboy. I will take your advice. Can you tell me what the ph range that the cheese would be in.  I ask because I have access to Methyl Red which registers between 4.4 and 6.2 where the Sodium Hydroxide/Phenolphthalein is a wider (higher) range but may be more difficult for me to find (I haven't tried yet though).

Pity about the soil tester. I like gadgets (cheap ones)!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:36:42 PM by Banjoza »

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
4.2 for the lactic extreme low ends to 6.8 for checking very fresh whey for some styles when milk might have very high pH.

methyl red is tough. one of the key indicators is knowing when to add rennet, and that's usually 6.5-6.6

Banjoza

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »
Ah, yes I see what you mean, that would be beyond the top end of the MR range. I assume by your reply that accuracy is essential too when adding the rennet, not my usual guesstimation.  I'm going to have to do some searching. Never mind, that's part of the fun of cheesemaking I suppose... I'm still glorying in the victory of finding the exact right pot for the job, and a splendid PVC water pipe on the side of the road which will make wonderful molds. (I just hope it's not a second-hand sewage pipe!)

Thanks again Linuxboy, for all your advice.

Lorna

Edit: I apologise Linuxboy, I have just done some more reading on this site and find that you have actually answered this question many times, with additional information (fascinating). Your knowledge is impressive indeed, have you considered writing a book on the subject?  (or have you already done so?)  Just a collection of all your posts and replies on this site would make a comprehensive treatise on the subject. You and all the other experts here are most generous to share your knowledge so freely like this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:40:50 AM by Banjoza »