Author Topic: need help with Butter Muslin  (Read 1917 times)

peter

need help with Butter Muslin
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
When I press my hard cheeses the sides and the top look awful from the muslin bunching up. How do you stop this from hapening? alot of the photos on this site show pressed cheeses that look perfect, no wrinkles. Any Ideas? thank you

dthelmers

Re: need help with Butter Muslin
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
I pull up the sides of the cloth when it is in the mold so there are no wrinkles on the side, and drape the edges over the edge of the mold. I take one corner and pull it over the cheese, smoothing out any wrinkles, then place my follower on top of that, and press.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »
You also might consider PlyBan (plastic cheesecloth) which is flatter than muslin and may produce less rind impressions.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »
After you finish pressing, remove the cheesecloth and press "naked". Use a little more weight/pressure and it won't take but 30-60 minutes. Wrinkles will be gone.

peter

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »

After you finish pressing, remove the cheesecloth and press "naked". Use a little more weight/pressure and it won't take but 30-60 minutes. Wrinkles will be gone.
[/quote]
No I have not tried that. I will tonight. I think I also need to take more time laying in the cheese cloth. thanks for the help.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
You should also try plyban instead of cheesecloth. Much more pliable.