Author Topic: So, what's your Whey?  (Read 3034 times)

JustPeachy

So, what's your Whey?
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
What unique uses do you have for whey? I read that plants love it diluted, but can't remember which ones exactly or at what dilution rate.

I suspect my home security system would appreciate it, heated and poured over her dry kibble, until softened.

So, what do you do with your Whey besides ricotta or running it down the drain?

Jaspar

Re: So, what's your Whey?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
Strain it real good and mix it half and half with water for kool-aid. The kids don't seem to mind. And it good for them(don't tell em).
                                                                                                        Jaspar

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
Don't give too much to the dog or you'll regret it! But small amounts should be ok.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
Don't give too much to the dog or you'll regret it! But small amounts should be ok.
The phrase "fatter than the town dog" comes to mind. C'mon, squeal like a pig, Fido!  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:39 AM »
My dog runs after me when she sees me carrying the container of whey. But I try to sneak some past her for the chickens! Otherwise, it goes on the compost, or I have just poured some directly under the fruit trees. Seems to do no harm. Better than down the drain!
Susan

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
We are on a septic system, so down the drain is a definite no-no.  I dilute it 1:4 with water for fertilizing the garden and about 1:10 for houseplants.  The chickens love it, especially in the winter, when we have to put it in a heated dog dish to keep it from freezing before they can drink it all.  Piggies get it while they are here, usually May through November.  When I get too much to feed to my animals, I send some to the neighbor that raises pigs.

Dulcelife

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
One week it goes to the hens. Another week it goes under the Pokan Tangerine tree.  Another under the dwarf Cavendish Bananas, and so on and so forth.

JustPeachy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »

JustPeachy

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »

Great advice but unfortunately, I saw this too late. She gorged herself and puked it all up in the dang bed of all places!  ::) I learned a lesson that night. She'll get a small amount and the rest I'll dilute and toss to the tomato plants and lemon trees for sure.  :o Less messy that way!