Author Topic: Difference between Contry of Origin & AOC  (Read 2831 times)

pragnesh_50

Difference between Contry of Origin & AOC
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:35:58 AM »
Hi Dears,

I want to know exact meaning for AOC & Country of Origin and also difference between both of them.

Is it necessary that a cheese having AOC calim of FRANCE has Contry of Origin as france only.

I have OSSAU IRATY having AOC as FRANCE which is sold by Carrefour Belgium. Is it mean that Country of Origin for that one is FRANCE?

Regards,
Pragnesh

pragnesh_50

Re: Difference between Contry of Origin & AOC
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:02:35 AM »

I have two Ossau Iraty with AOC Claim:

1. Ossau Iraty made from sheep milk distributed by CARREFOUR BEL.
2. Ossau Iraty made from Brebis distributed by AGOUR DISTRIBUTION.

for both the above Country of Origin is France?

Regards,
Pragnesh

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »
Ossau Iraty AOC can only be made in the French Basque area of Bearn and Iraty.
Only cheese made in that area can be legally called Ossau Iraty and receive the AOC or DOP seal.

In the past, different European nations have established their own protection of domain rules. The designation was only given to cheeses that had historical value and needed to be protected from competition of disgenuine cheese and counterfeits. The decree for a given cheese determine the area of production, animal and breed, animal feed, production method, aging period, size of the cheese, moisture and fat contents, etc. Makers of any of the cheeses that have such status are typically banded together in a consortium or co-op and market their cheeses together rather than competing against each other.  Originally, each nation had a different name for it. In Italy is was DOP, in Spain it was DDO and France had AOC and AOP. Now the European Union is attempting to include all of the products under a single decree which is PDO and do away with the old system.

Carrefour - is a giant chain of European supermarkets, headquartered in France. They may distribute this cheese from Belgium, but the cheese is still made in the French Basque area.
Agour - is a major producer of Ossau Iraty AOC
Brebis - if just French for "sheep" (so there is no difference from your #1 and #2 examples).

Seems to me that you got a genuine, real Ossau Iraty AOC cheese!

pragnesh_50

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
Hi

thanks,

I have pack with indicaion of "TOMME DE SAVOIE" manufacture by Carrefour Belgiumn N.V.

The word TOMME DE SAVOIE is protected for AOC.

Does it mean that it is real AOC cheese of France? and it Country of Oringin is FRANCE?

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
Carrefour does NOT manufacture anything. It's just a chain of supermarkets. They may market stuff under their own generic brand name, but they don't actually make the cheese.

HOWEVER, the cheese in your photo does not say AOC on it, so it could be made by someone else, though I doubt it.  The package in the photo is not an original Tomme de Savoie package. The cheese arrive as a large wheel into the supermarket. An employee of the supermarket then cuts it into many wedges. They wrap each wedge individually, weigh it and prints a label with the price and barcode on it. The label has the supermarket name on it (Carrefour). It is no longer the original label and logo of the cheesemaker.  Details such as the AOC or AOP or DOP seal are not on this label.

I trust that if it says Tomme de Savoie at a supermarket chain such as Carrefour, it is indeed Tomme de Savoie and not a fake or counterfeit.

Tomme de Savoie is is an AOC cheese which is made by any creamery that is a member of the Tomme de Savoie consortium.  Consortium members can only be located in the French Savoie area so all of this cheese comes from France.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:00:47 PM by iratherfly »

Frotte La Tomme

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
tomme de savoie doesnt say aoc or aop because it is not classified as an appelation.  It is an IGP

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »
OOPS! You are CORRECT!

Still, IGP is a certification (though not as strict as AOC/PDO) that is only given to participating producers who still need to meet production and regional standards, so this cheese would likely still be French Savoie made.