Author Topic: Sealing wood press?  (Read 3682 times)

jersey12

Sealing wood press?
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »
My husband is making me a simple design pine wood press and would like to know what the best thing to seal it with would be - varnish, wood stain or mineral oil used on wood chopping blocks?  The cheese molds will be sitting in pans so that the cheese won't be touching the wood and the whey will not normally drain onto the wood...but I guess accidents and spills may happen and I would like to protect the press.

bbracken677

Re: Sealing wood press?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:26 AM »
perhaps a food quality mineral oil...although I think I would prefer to just use olive oil...which is what I do with my wood cutting boards.

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
Since the press won't be in contact with the stuff that ends up in the cheese you could use a polyurethane to make a nice smooth finish for easy cleanup.  If food will come in contact with the wood, I agree that an edible oil is the best choice.   

I used unfinished oak for my press, but the base has a laminate finish.  Not as pretty, but easy cleanup. 

Alpkäserei

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »
I would say a food safe oil, such as a good mineral oil or pure linseed oil, applied boiling hot to the wood (not the linseed oil with dryers added)

I learned in Switzerland about a different way to seal food use wood, soap.

They use a food safe, fat-based lye soap called in German Schmierseife. It works pretty good actually, and looks like oil.

Olive oil can turn rancid.

cowboycheese

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
I've used (USP pure) mineral oil quite successfully on any wood that I use that touches cheese. Several coats until it doesn't soak in anymore. I do the same to all my wooden cooking spoons - generally once a year or so. The cheapest I found was at Walgreen's drugstore.

I've used "food safe" polyu on my press because nothing on it actually touches cheese. It does make cleanups easier - rinse and wipe dry. Pretty much any water based polyu is OK.

OpheliaBlue

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Not trying to be a necro-poster, but I JUST bought this press http://www.homesteadhelpers.com/i/861/ultimate-cheese-press.htm, and it uses raw tung oil. The only issue there would be a nut allergy since the oil comes from the the nut of a tung tree. So far I like it, has a very neutral smell and super easy cleanup. We'll see if there's an issue with it going rancid like olive oil in due time.

I love that press, incidentally. :)

CheeWilly

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 02:12:26 AM »
I bought a bottle of food grade mineral oil from lowes for my press.  Cool thing about it is you can use it for lubricating your meat prepping products like a grinder or slicer if you happen to use them also.  The bottle was 9 bucks with tax.

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • -- Matt --
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:34:45 AM »
The only drawback to mineral oil I have experienced is its laxative powers, so try not to ingest too much. I was gifted ebony chopsticks that were finished in mineral oil and I used them right away... it was really
humorous.

CheeWilly

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:51:39 AM »
LOL......that's funny.