Author Topic: Brinza Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 18440 times)

Tea

Re: Brinza Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »
Somewhere amongst all this wonderful information, someone posted a link on how to preserve the kid's stomach.  The lady that originally started my on my cheese journey, her mother/family have always kept rennet in this manner.   She was saying though, that the kid must not have eaten any grass, it had to only have had it's mothers milk to be able to be used.

Makes you thankful that we can just order in some more rennet doesn't it.   :D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »
Yeah I am kind of squemish about eatting baby critters. I don't even eat veal. I don't know why it just makes me feel like a canabal or something. Everything changed after my son was born for some reason ... :D

I was reading in one of the old books in the library that they cut the stomach in strips and boil it. Then some amount of the water is used for the rennet. I think Faunkner website has something on it too.

Corina

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »
I happen to read this old post and the receipe given with the slaughtered lamb is not practiced anywhere, it is a nonsense.
I have some large piece of land where a farmer keeps sheeps and goats and he gives us Brinza in return for landing the land. He laughed at me when I told him that story, and I never heard of such methods here.

Brinza is a white cheese, made from sheep or cow milk, or a mixture of both. It can be goat milk but usually not.
In some mountain regions it is made of buffalo cow milk-not sure if the name is correct.
At first it was only a sheep milk or buffalo milk cheese, now times have changed.
Milk is warmed at28-33C, starter added, and the the rennet, left for 45-60 minutes, , put into cloth to take the whey out, opening the cloth and cutting the cheese, putting the chhese in the cloth into a press with up to 1,5kg, for 45-to90 minutes, cutting it in 14-18cm pieces.The pieces are kept in brine made of 20% salt concentration for  14-16 hours, then put to mature and kept in wooden barrles whith brine made from whey and salt for 20 days at 12-14 days.
The resulted chees is semihard to hard, depending on the maturated time, it is salted and it is great with a piece of bread and fresh tomatoes.
The cheese is usually kept in salted water in the barrels afterwards, the salted brine made not by measuring but testing it with a fresh egg. Add as much salt till the egg floats on the brine. If the cheese pieces are covered in salted brine, they kan be kept for two years.

Tomer1

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Seems like an aweful waste to kill a baby goat just to make a pound or two of mediocre (at best) cheese.

My grandmother's nurse is romanian-moldavian from the country side and they do have access to rennet and plastic cheese moulds.  They naturally acidify raw milk.

While returning from her recent trip home to visit her family she brought back some cheese (they only make fresh high moisture cheeses , I think they are mostly lactic style as they have a very grainy acidic texture) and for some reason they dont eat it all up fresh but store it aswell in things like oak bark or smoke them.   Its not rotten but definitly untasty and very smelly in a bad way. 

I wonder why they havent traditionally developed an aged cheese (mold ripened or low moisture hard cheese) style over the years as every country around them has.