Author Topic: Question: What is the best brand of milk in Thailand to use for making cheese?  (Read 13460 times)

jackbox

I am going to start making my own cheese. I live in Bangkok and was hoping other forum members with experience with dairy products in Thailand could give me some advice. I would like to know what is the best brand of milk here for making cheese. For drinking purposes I find the Farm Chokchai High 100% to be of good quality, but I do not know if it is just pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized and whether or not it would result in a good cheese product. So if anyone has had good success at making cheese here what brand and type of milk are you using. Are you adding any adjuncts like calcium choloride? Any sharing of your knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated.

benjamin@connectica.no

Hi! Did you get anywhere with this? I so can you share some of your learnings?

Thanks!

PhilthyCheese

There are milk suppliers around Bangkok. EVEN GOAT milk! I use this one in Chonburi. Near Central. I will also post the links I know about for Goat Milk around bangkok.

https://www.facebook.com/nomsodchonburi/ (Chonburi Raw Cow milk near Central in Chonburi 27 baht per KG in 5KG bags) I have had great success making cheese with their milk.

https://www.facebook.com/%E0%B8%BABangsai-Organic-Dairy-Goat-Farm-170011366365715/ This one is called BangSai organic goat farm. I have not tried them but a friend told me about them and has always given me good information. They are outside of Bangkok and also have cow milk I believe.

I am happy to share this information and if anyone ever gets new information lets keep this thread going! I had searched for a LONG LONG time looking for raw milk and finally found some last month. Let me know how it goes! Cheers

jeffmcneill

Up in Chiang Mai the government runs the milk coops which collect, process and then distribute raw and pasturized milk. I'm pretty sure that is the case wherever there are going to be enough cows, so not sure about Bangkok or south. Another option in Chiang Mai (for raw and pasturized milk) is Thai Danish, across from the zoo. The Govt milk coop is just south of the city on the first ring road, after it crosses the third ring road (Chiang-Mai Lampang road). There, 10kg of raw milk is 230 THB (min. 10kg). Prices are comparable at Thai-Danish though one can buy a smaller amount (5kg).