Author Topic: List: Thailand sourced cheesemaking supplies  (Read 10934 times)

jackbox

List: Thailand sourced cheesemaking supplies
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:22:19 AM »
Has anyone found a local source for cheese cultures, rennet, etc. in Thailand? I live in Bangkok and have ordered rennet and cheese cultures from overseas. Got my rennet in three days from the UK; still waiting on the cheese cultures from the U.S. I have not ordered calcium chloroide yet. Is that necessary for store bought pasteurized milk available here? Is there a local source for food grade calcium chloride or do I need to order that from an overseas supplier also. If people could reply to this post with any locally sourced cheesemaking supplies that would be of great benefit to the cheesemaking community (albeit small) in Thailand.

mbox

Re: List: Thailand sourced cheesemaking supplies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
Has anyone found a local source for cheese cultures, rennet, etc. in Thailand? I live in Bangkok and have ordered rennet and cheese cultures from overseas. Got my rennet in three days from the UK; still waiting on the cheese cultures from the U.S. I have not ordered calcium chloroide yet. Is that necessary for store bought pasteurized milk available here? Is there a local source for food grade calcium chloride or do I need to order that from an overseas supplier also. If people could reply to this post with any locally sourced cheesemaking supplies that would be of great benefit to the cheesemaking community (albeit small) in Thailand.

i order all my rennet, CaCl, starters , cultures from cheesemaking dot com ...never a problem ( and fair shipping prices)- not having much choices anyways as most other suppliers don't ship to other countries such as thailand ( or they have shipping fees which are on the steep side) 

Mitch

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
There is a great Cheese and Yogurt supplier in Bangkok, they Produce all the cheese and yogurt locally in Bangkok and you can contact them for some leads about cheese supplies.

They are called HomeMade-Cheese Co.

www.homemade-cheese.com

Best Yogurt in Thailand too. O0 8)

cheesenoob

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Did anybody have any luck contacting the Homemade-cheese.co?

I have been looking on Alibaba and seeing some decent prices for bulk buys of things like rennet and lipase.

andyst81

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
Did anybody have any luck contacting the Homemade-cheese.co?

I have been looking on Alibaba and seeing some decent prices for bulk buys of things like rennet and lipase.

Hi all, new member here. Very much want to get involved in making cheese. I emailed the Homemade Cheese company and unfortunately they replied saying they don't sell cheese making ingredients.

Bugs Bunny

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 05:40:03 AM »
I have hunted for rennet in Thailand as well. Luckily i found 2 sources:
1. Thai company called Thinnakorn Chem. 027297523. They sell rennet 100 grams for 1100 baht
2.   http://thaiartisanfoods.com
Hope this helps

benjamin@connectica.no

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »
Thanks!

That sure helps me!

I am in Bangkok too, and was wondering if you guys had any tips on what milk brands to use here?

I have yet to try to make any cheese, since I was still sourcing rennet, but I have read that people have had problems finding milk that is not Ultra Pasteurised in the grocery stores. Ive read that you cannot make any cheese with milk that have had this treatment, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
You can make cheese with ultrapasturized milk , but it is not easy and you do not get good returns on milk to curd ratio.

Hard cheeses will be almost impossible , soft cheeses like. Brie might be possible , with a little practice .

If you have to resort to this type of milk I would add some powdered milk to get a little more solids , and I would let the milk sit longer with the culture than normal before adding rennet let the acid drop lower to get a better curd set.  Maybe double or triple the time the recipe calls for , or a ph of about 6.3 .

You could also try  a modified lactic set cheese ,  do as I mention above then let sit over night in a warm area until curd sinks in whey  then  pour / scoop off as much whey as possible , then scoop out curd into molds if not too runny and let sit overnight again to drain. (If too runny you need to put into cheese cloth and drain over night , mixing a few times to get even draining ) ( then proceed with scooping into molds and draining 24 hrs before salting )

Then salt and let sit out over night again before putting in fridge . 

Smaller is better with this type of cheese , I use molds that are tapered from  1 inch to 1/2 inch and about 3 inches tall .  They are plastic disposable shot glasses with holes drill into them . 

Usually this type of cheese  has PC added to give the white mold and  can be eaten in about 2 weeks but are good until,they dry up and become a grating cheese .

I have never used UP goat milk but it should be better than UP cow milk if it is available .

I think some one in thialand found buffalo milk , search the forums

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 04:55:58 AM »
Also found this when search forums , not sure if any of it is still relevant years later

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9855.0.html

DavidCNX

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »
Quite a few cheesmakers up here in Chiang Mai.... local raw milk at 25bt litre delivered....
Still getting my supplies from cheesmaking.com though my last parcel got held at customs and I had to pay import duty to get it out.... so suggestion is buy smaller quantities to avoid that happening!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »
Wow, that's great! I grew up in the Philippines and Singapore, back in the 60's and 70's, and any form of milk other than canned (condensed) or dry powder was extremely expensive and difficult to get. If Google is to be believed, 25 baht = around $0.75 US. That seems like a really good price, though I don't know how the cost of living may factor in. For me, here in North Carolina, the cheapest I can get raw milk is around $10 / gallon, or about 89bt / litre if I have done my math right - and that would NOT be delivered!
-- Andy

PhilthyCheese

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
I get my raw cow milk from a place near Central in Chonburi. It is 27 baht per KG sold in bags of 5 kg. https://www.facebook.com/nomsodchonburi/

bryannguyen

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 02:14:07 AM »
hi all guys, im from vietnam. i 'm conducting a business in cheese. Hope can join with you guys

panamamike

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Bryan.

Dilicious

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:07:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in Phuket and just starting to make cheese after a two day seminar on cheese making. The conclusion we came to is that many of the pasteurized milks here result in very weak curds.

My husband steams milk for his coffee and to do latte art. He says most of the milks do not steam properly. However he has found two which do. On the basis that the milks he dismissed also produced very weak curds (magnolia and mejii) i tried the two he has success with (chokchai and foremost).

The results were that they did produce better curds and the yield was about 70% more.

I will try some others which he has never used so i can compare. Next on the list are Aro (Makro's own brand), Dairy Home (organic found in Villa Market) , and Barrista (another product from Magnolia) .

I'll let you know how i get on.