Author Topic: List: Thailand Good Milk  (Read 10170 times)

jackbox

List: Thailand Good Milk
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:35:40 AM »
Let's start a "Good Milk" for Thailand. If you have had good success making cheese please list brand of milk, type of milk and what adjuncts such as calcium chloride you added to it. Also, if you know of a particular brand and type of milk where you had a bad result please list that also so people know to not buy that milk and waste their time and money.

mbox

Re: List: Thailand Good Milk
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Let's start a "Good Milk" for Thailand. If you have had good success making cheese please list brand of milk, type of milk and what adjuncts such as calcium chloride you added to it. Also, if you know of a particular brand and type of milk where you had a bad result please list that also so people know to not buy that milk and waste their time and money.

Jackbox, i used magnolia brand from makro as well the Meijo brand....these where the Brands i had most success with . If you live in a place that has a Farming School you may wanna talk to them....i did and i get it from them now.

Oh one thing, you be better off using animal rennet i tried vegetarian rennet tablets before and there was always some bitter taste in there ...

JGA

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »

I just made some ricotta using the Magnolia brand of milk. Have you tried the Chokchai or Dutch Mill brands?

You can purchase citric acid and calcium chloride at the medical supply house on Sukhumvit Soi 69 (named Vidhyasom Co Ltd). The place looks like a factory, but they will sell 1/2kg containers for around US$5.

-Jeff

mbox

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »

I just made some ricotta using the Magnolia brand of milk. Have you tried the Chokchai or Dutch Mill brands?

You can purchase citric acid and calcium chloride at the medical supply house on Sukhumvit Soi 69 (named Vidhyasom Co Ltd). The place looks like a factory, but they will sell 1/2kg containers for around US$5.

-Jeff

I tried dutch mill but not the chockchai ....dutch mill milk i don't have success but having said that i was using animal rennet that time . How much is the calcium chloride  and at what strength does this come ?

mbox

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »

-Jeff

Btw, if you make some other cheese  in future (ie swiss, gouda...) you can use the "leftover" whey to make ricotta....its really a sideproduct in cheesemaking . I am not a big fan on ricotta, so only make it now and then from leftover whey.

Mitch

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
try contacting  www.homemade-cheese.com  it a local Cheese and yogurt supplier in Bangkok Thailand and they use local Thai milk, i am sure they can advise you.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:27:42 AM by Webmaster »

jackbox

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
The company listed in the post above does not have rennet available. They claim to make all their cheeses without rennet so none is available to sell. I still have not been able to find a supplier for rennet in Thailand. My rennet is too old now and curds are not properly setting. If someone knows a local supplier I would really appreciate you posting it here.

Two types of milk that do not work: Chokchai High and Foremost Yummy. I suspect they are reconstituted powdered milk products from China and/or pasturized at a very high temperature.

Reliable milk still seems to be Umm! by the original Chokchai Farms. This is real milk pasturized at 75 degrees C. Calcium chloride needs to be added but it does form a curd. In 1994 Chokchai Farms sold their milk products business to another company. So the milk in the stores sold as Chokchai is not made by Chokchai Farms. Chokchai Farms has a demonstration dairy for their resort that produces Umm! milk that is only sold at Umm! milk kiosks in some malls around Thailand.

JGA

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »
>Two types of milk that do not work: Chokchai High and Foremost Yummy.

I wish that I had seen your posting before today. I just tried to make feta cheese from Chokchai milk and it was not a huge success. The milk took FIVE hours to form a clean break in the curd (should take about an hour). I used real animal rennet (BioRen), lipase powder, and a culture that I brought back from the States. I made a 30% calcium chloride solution from the dry CaCl2 granules that I bought at a medical supply house in Bangkok.

I did end up with cheese, but it's just not the correct consistency (more like cream cheese). However, it does taste like feta.

Should I try Magnolia milk or is all store-bought Thai milk going to be a waste of time for cheesemaking?

-Jeff

jackbox

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:36 AM »
>Two types of milk that do not work: Chokchai High and Foremost Yummy.

I wish that I had seen your posting before today. I just tried to make feta cheese from Chokchai milk and it was not a huge success. The milk took FIVE hours to form a clean break in the curd (should take about an hour). I used real animal rennet (BioRen), lipase powder, and a culture that I brought back from the States. I made a 30% calcium chloride solution from the dry CaCl2 granules that I bought at a medical supply house in Bangkok.

I did end up with cheese, but it's just not the correct consistency (more like cream cheese). However, it does taste like feta.

Should I try Magnolia milk or is all store-bought Thai milk going to be a waste of time for cheesemaking?

-Jeff

I have never used it but other people have told me Magnolia works okay. I use Umm! Milk which is made by the real Chokchai Dairy in Korat. Umm! Milk can be bought in Kiosks around Bangkok and other cities (check Chokchai website). The original Chokchai branded milk was sold back in the 90s to another company. It is Chokchai in brand only. None of the milk comes from their dairy farm. The Umm! Milk, on the other hand, comes from the tourist destination / exhibition dairy farm run by the real Chokchai Group. The milk produced there becomes Umm! Milk. On their website they claim the pasteurization is done at or below 75 degrees C. That is the absolute highest temp you can use before the milk starts to become useless for cheese making. You have to be very careful when using other milk. I even contacted one of the newer "organic" dairies that have sprung up in Thailand. I called about pasteurization temps and they said someone would call me back. Later that day a gentleman called me back, I think the other of the dairy, and he told me the milk was pasteurized somewhere around 93 C (don't remember exact temp). I told him I wanted milk for cheesemaking and he knew right away the milk was a no go due to pasteurization temps. He offered to supply me with raw milk in bulk; but I told him it was for home use and would not be worth his trouble. But if I ever opened a cheese company in Thailand I would definitely consider him as a source, since raw milk has not had anything bad done to it yet.

JGA

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »

I'm going to purchase a couple of liters of the different brands of milk today and just see if I can make it set with the CaCl2 and rennet in a reasonable amount of time (one hour!). I'll try Magnolia first. I don't know why I tried the Chokchai brand since I previously used Magnolia when I made ricotta and it worked fine (but I was using vinegar to form the curds).

The Umm! brand is sold at some of the Tops markets in Bangkok, but I believe that it is fairly expensive compared to other brands and only comes in small 700ml bottles. True?

I think home cheesemaking in Thailand is going to be a bust!

-Jeff

jackbox

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 02:13:18 AM »

I'm going to purchase a couple of liters of the different brands of milk today and just see if I can make it set with the CaCl2 and rennet in a reasonable amount of time (one hour!). I'll try Magnolia first. I don't know why I tried the Chokchai brand since I previously used Magnolia when I made ricotta and it worked fine (but I was using vinegar to form the curds).

The Umm! brand is sold at some of the Tops markets in Bangkok, but I believe that it is fairly expensive compared to other brands and only comes in small 700ml bottles. True?

I think home cheesemaking in Thailand is going to be a bust!

-Jeff

Umm! us bit sold at Tops or any other store. They have their own Kiosks and stand alone stores. There is one at Big C Rama 4, Central Rama 3 and on Asoke next to Chokchai Steak House. There are many others but never sold by another grocery store. It is not expensive. It comes in 1,000 ml bottles now for around 47 baht or such per bottle. Slightly pricier than some market brands, but well worth it.

jackbox

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
I hope I am not just talking to myself here. Where did everyone go? I found a source for raw milk. It is called Dr. Milk and sold in the mini mart where I live. A 1 liter bag runs around 32 baht. It makes a wonderful curd without the need for calcium chloride. I don't know where else they sell it but the companies phone number is 083-800-4800 and they are located in Nakhon Pathom. I low temperature pasteurize it before making cheese with it. If you make a hard cheese that is aged for six months or longer no pasteurization is necessary. If I want to skip the pasteurization step, I am still getting good results with Umm! brand milk but adding calcium chloride improves the curd due to pasteurization and homogenization.

cheesenoob

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
Hi Jackbox and other Thai cheesemakers,

This is my first post here.

I know this thread is really old.

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the milk supplier Jackbox.

I will give him a buzz when I get things set up for sure.

So wut dee took kon na kap my name is Seb. I am from Australia.
I would like to make some pecorino and parmesan for pesto.

I haven't made any cheese yet but I think there could be a good little market with ex-pats and I am considering setting up something small in the way of a potential commercial enterprise.
I have a lot to learn before that can be done of course.

But just wanted to say thanks and I hope to post regularly here if I have anything useful to contribute.

cheers,

Cheese noob