Author Topic: My first Lancashire  (Read 1629 times)

peter

My first Lancashire
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
I made my 1st Lancashire yesterday using JeffHamm's recipe and schedule with a few minor modifications, I also used Sailor con Queso's sugestion to press naked to get a smoother rind. I have to date had 0% success with getting cheddar type cheese to look ok .  also I built a new cheese press the day before yesteday and it worked great, my old one was a spring type and did not work very well.

recipe
 10 L/Q quarts jersey milk
1/2 ts calc. chloride
1/4 tsp meso 2 culture
1/2tsp + 2 drops liquid rennet (veal)
2 tbs salt

warmed milk & calc chloride  to 88f degrees
added culture stirred for 1 minute after 5 minutes
let ripen 45 minutes
added rennet stirred 1 minute floated bowl
nailed the floc at 15 minutes
floc @ 3x (45 minutes total
over shot temp by 3 degrees final temp 91f
cut curd 1/2" dice
rested 5 minutes
stirred curd 10 minutes
rested 5 minutes
drained in colander kept warm in a pot in a sink of warm water
rested curd mass 1/2 hr flipping once
cut cake in 1/2, stacked in warm pot for 15 minutes
the pieces did not melt together like i thought they would they stuck together very well but stayed 2 distinct individual pieces
milled to walnut sized pieces salted and moved to press
I pot pressed for 1.5 hrs @ 24 lbs pressure in a 6" mold
redressed and flipped and pressed @ 45 lbs for 8 hrs flipping 3 times
pressed for 1 hr naked.

to date this is the best hard cheese I have made yet, the Knit looks great ( to me) it is currently air drying for a couple of days then will go into my cheese cave/pumphouse.
the photos attached are of my new cheese press and the cheese after 12 hrs of air drying
thanks everybody for all the help and info.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:48:16 PM by peter »

hoeklijn

Re: My first Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Nice press you have there? What kind of wood did you use and did you use a paint or varnish? The cheese is looking good too...

peter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
The wood is western maple, maple grown west of the Mississippi, I bought it for $2.00 a board foot. I have not placed a finish on it yet as I wanted to try it out first. I pot pressed so whey did not leak on it. the finish I am goint to use is called salad bowl finish it is used for finishing salad bowls an counter tops and produces a high build easy clean finish that is food grade. the counter my press is sitting on has that finish on it. I have cad drawings of the press along with a spread sheet for the lever press pressure with different weights and positions if anybody wants it.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
Hi Peter,

Well done!  Mine never melt together either, though they do sometimes stick together.  You can put a follower on top and press lightly to help remove some moisture (i.e. put a 2 litre jug of milk on top) if you want.  You final result looks much like what I get, and that's the point of following someone elses notes so top points on that.  A cheese to you and your press.  Looks great.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
Good-looking cheese & press, Peter. Kudos from further south of you.  :)

How will you seal the rind and how long will you age this?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

peter

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:21:51 PM »
Good-looking cheese & press, Peter. Kudos from further south of you.  :)

How will you seal the rind and how long will you age this?

-Boofer-
Thank you, I am thinking wax and age 1 month, if my kids do not get to it before then.

Rizzo

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
I have cad drawings of the press along with a spread sheet for the lever press pressure with different weights and positions if anybody wants it.

Hi Peter
I would love the drawings and spread sheet for the press if you still have them. It looks great, a work of art! thanks

Matthewcraig

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »
yes i agree with rizzo i would greatly appreciate it if you posted the spreadsheet and cad diagram, a cheese to you for your first successful cheddar and many more to come.