Author Topic: Wooo Nelly 15 Gallon Stilton To Feed the Masses  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Wooo Nelly 15 Gallon Stilton To Feed the Masses
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
I'm working on a 15 gallon Stilton right now pictures when it's ready to cut and such.

stuartjc

Re: Wooo Nelly 15 Gallon Stilton To Feed the Masses
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:08:10 AM »
... you really like these 15 gallon batches, don't you  ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:13:02 AM »
No what gives you that impression? Are you a mind reader? ;D

Yeah, I just like the look of the bigger wheels, plus in bigger sizes you get a lot more cheese, from what I hear. I'm always looking forward so if I make a really good batch I have more. It's like cigars I love cigars but I don't ever buy the "Limited Edition" ones because let's say I love them and can't get enough then I'm screwed as limited means expensive and only for a limited time. Maybe not a good analagy, but you get the point. This one is going to be huge I think.

What are you making now?

stuartjc

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:19:18 AM »
I am waiting impatiently for the 2 farmhouse Cheddars I made at the weekend to be edible, so that I can find out if they're... well, edible!

Mrs has instructed me that I am to make a Stilton, so I will be watching your progress with great interest!

This weekend, if I get the chance, I will get to the dairy shop and buy 2 gallons of 145f pasteurised whole milk. At $5.69/gallon, I may hold fire on that till I have a couple more test batches under my belt!

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:37:58 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this one, Carter.
Just the thought of flipping a 15 lb. cheese makes me cringe and I don't even want to think about smoothing a monster like this.
Have I mentioned that I really hate the smoothing processs on a Stilton? It's some of the most tedious work I've ever encountered.
Also, the amount of cheese that I got off of my last (2 gallon Stilton) is A LOT.
I gave one large sized wedge to my parents. I'm eating on another and have two more in the freezer. I hope you have lots of friends and family that you can share this with.
Looking forward to the pics.
One thing I would suggest (and I'm far from an expert on this cheese) is to smooth the rind as soon as possible, before any surface bluing begins.
On my next batch I'm going to try removing from the mold on day three or four and smooth the surface right away. I need to figure out what gave me the classic Stilton rind so I can duplicate it on every batch.

Dave

stuartjc

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:15:22 AM »
what do you think your yield with this will be - about 1.25lb per gallon?  ???

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:09 AM »
Guys and Ladies, I typed this before the disaster:

Here are some pre-pics of the break after curd set. I haven't recieved my new CaCl2 so I didn't use any. Stilton uses less rennet so all things considered I got a pretty good set as I've said in other threads I don't think I'll be using CaCl2 anymore.

I will post pics tomorrow so Dave keep a lid on the impatient thing  ;).

What a freaking nightmare, at least my kitchen needed to be cleaned head to toe. Needless to say trying to move this amount of curds that's supposed to be soft is a freaking headache. There are curd splashed all over my kitchen, well not anymore. I even had to a take a shower, thank god it's that time of year anyway.

When I make a large cheddar or parm it's easy because the curds are not all that soft. Anyway more tomorrow.

stuartjc

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »
 :o

oh, dear!

Likesspace

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 04:02:30 AM »
Okay, I tried to be patient...
I really did....
The problem is that even when you SAID you were posting "pre-pics" of the make, you didn't attach a thing!
Carter....my friend.....the mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Also, "tomorrow" is nearly over and there are still no photos attached to this post.
You are just lucky that I've been seeking counseling for my patience issues and will not allow your negligence to bring me down. Of course that could just be the Cabernet talking.  :)

Dave

LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:49:54 AM »
ya, where are the pics?  I want to see you covered head to toe in curd!

I noticed you said re: a shower "it's that time of the year anyway" 

I'm beginning to suspect you must be single!   :D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »
Sorry Joy, I'm taken, but I do live alone, second the shower thing was a joke. I try to take one every week...just in case that was a joke too.

Man you people are hard to please. The pics are just of the break as the cheese is still in the mold and I was so frustrated that I didn't bother to take pics. But I've rectified the problem and came up with a very clean easy way to transfer curds and drain without any hassle.

P.S. It looks mushy but remember Stilton uses half the amount of rennet and no CaCl2, so I think I got a pretty good set.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 06:36:41 AM »
Sorry Joy, I'm taken, but I do live alone, second the shower thing was a joke. I try to take one every week...just in case that was a joke too.

I know, Carter.  I was joshin ya.  thus the  :D

Man you people are hard to please. The pics are just of the break as the cheese is still in the mold and I was so frustrated that I didn't bother to take pics. But I've rectified the problem and came up with a very clean easy way to transfer curds and drain without any hassle.

P.S. It looks mushy but remember Stilton uses half the amount of rennet and no CaCl2, so I think I got a pretty good set.

That *IS* mushy.  Thanks for the pics it makes it easier to know how to do this in the future. I love the web.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 06:50:27 AM »
I know you knew and that you knew that I knew.

How's your Cave coming did the DH finish it yet?

As I said it's mushy looking but was actually firmish.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 07:31:13 AM »
I know you knew and that you knew that I knew.

How's your Cave coming did the DH finish it yet?

As I said it's mushy looking but was actually firmish.

His hygrometer with the probe didn't work (really it was way off), so I had to order him another one after searching for one on amazon, I found a remote hygrometer.  We'll see how that works, this one was a 1/4 of the price of the original one he bought.  There aren't very many of those out there!  So no he's not finished.  We did get what you sent, though, but he hasn't gotten it all set up yet.  Thanks for sending that btw.

I'll have to nag him, but I'm good at that...

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »
If you keep posting, I'll have to keep posting and I'll never get to anything else tonight. ;D