Author Topic: Is the mold on my blue cheese bad?  (Read 4403 times)

damoncz

Is the mold on my blue cheese bad?
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
I am new to cheese making I made my first blue cheese a couple of weeks ago. Following these instructions:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Blue_Cheese/Blue_Cheese.htm
For the blue mold I used some mold from Gorgonzola cheese and put it in a blender with some cool water and inoculated the milk at the same time as inoculation. After I got the curds, I put some danish blue cheese mold in a blender to mix and poured on the drained curd right before packing it into the mold. At day 2 the cheese started to grow some white fuzzy mold on it, it had an aroma of fresh mushroom. Then it started to turn green and started to give of some ammonia odours...I was a bit concerned so I rubbed my cheese with rock salt...that slowed down the processes but now the cheese has a bad moldy smell(or maybe its just my perception) but it doesn't look too good as it has a lot of green/white mold around it. What do you guys think? Is it the bad mold? What should I do with this cheese let it age some more or throw it away. Maybe I need to post a picture here?

Many thanks!
Damon

Likesspace

Re: Is the mold on my blue cheese bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:52:32 AM »
Damon...
Please do post a pic of the cheese. As they say, I picture is worth a thousand words.
I will say that blue cheese get quite "fragrant" as they go throughout the aging process.
All I have to do is mention that I'm going to open my Stilton cave and the kids run screaming from the room. :-)
Honestly I'd like to see this cheese. I'm sure several of us can chime in and give you advice once we see it.

Dave

Captain Caprine

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:34:47 AM »
Damon,
A pic would help but I am not overly concerned given your description.
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
Hello damoncz, I noticed that is your first post so welcome to the forum!

I've also used store bought blue cheese as an inoculate on all 3 of my blue's to date, which means I am still a blue newbie, but none of mine got the white fuzzy mold on it like yours have. However all three did smell a bunch in the early stages :D!

Just curious, does the white fuzz look like the P candidum molds used in Camembert etc making? Bunch of pictures of that in that Board.

damoncz

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:30:06 AM »
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the replies. I thought I would be getting an email every time somebody replied and that's why I didn't check back to see if I got any replies to my posting!

I believe the white fuzzy mold look like P candidum, but its been replaced with the green mold after rubbing salt on it.

I will definitely post some pictures tomorrow!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:37:10 PM »
Sounds like it is Candidum mold, not going to hurt anything but if the amonia smell is strong that could be bad. In camembert amonia smell is when it's over ripe.