Author Topic: Mozzarella - Plastic Wrapped, Whey Trapped Inside  (Read 1468 times)

Tiffany

Mozzarella - Plastic Wrapped, Whey Trapped Inside
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Hey all.. I have finally mastered mozzarella or so I thought.  I like to wrap it but always gets slimmy.  I watched a few you tube videos with chefs that really seem to have it going on, and most wrap in plastic wrap.  3 wraps, twist ends and tuck.  WONDERFUL works good.. BUT I still have a slimmy coating on the cheese.  Not a spoiled slimy but a too much moisture slimmy.  am I not getting out enough whey during the draining process ya think.  I am experimenting today with cheese curd.  so I made a 3 gallon batch of mozzarella curd, and instead of turning it right away, I have it in a draining bag.  I did notice all the chefs were using CURD bought from cheese stores, which appeared much dryer.  so thought MAYBE that is it.  I do a saturated brine soak for 10-15 mins to sear,  wondering if that is still pulling the liquid out even after wrapping.  sorry for all the questions.  well im off have a 3 gallon batch of Montasio in the sink about to be cut. 
thanks for the help
Tiffany