This was my target when I started this cheese:
"I looked at the date, June 23rd, and a spark of inspiration was lighted. How about a nice Beaufort that would be ready for Christmas in 6 months? Okay, but it has to be more elastic and less crumbly than my previous 3 efforts.
Today, after I wiped some more white and blue mold off the cream coating, I decided to cut the cheese.
Wow...bullseye! I did indeed hit my target. The texture was hard but flexible...very much in keeping with the alpine style. The salt level was spot on. Then my tastebuds lit up! There's the nutty
character! Excellent alpine flavor and it lingers on the palate.... It's difficult not to overdo the sampling.
There are some discussions on the forum about cream coating. This confirms its effectiveness for me. It protected the cheese and then peeled off very easily. That may not be true for all cream coatings. YMMV. This one works. I was worried that the mold I started wiping off the cream coating had penetrated through to the cheese itself. Not at all. The rind is dry and free from infection.
I divided the cheese into eight wedges and vacuum-sealed each one. Someone else will enjoy this cheese for Christmas.
I only wish that this was a larger wheel. I'm afraid it will disappear quickly.
Another checkmark goes in the WIN