Author Topic: First Caerphilly has yellowish mottling. ideas?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
First Caerphilly has yellowish mottling. ideas?
« on: August 04, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »
Made my first Caerphilly and put it in a wine fridge inside a glass pyrex container with lid.  It's sitting on some cheese mat to keep it off bottom of container.  It's been aging 4-6 days  (sorry but my days are all running together this week) and when I checked it today I notice some yellowish mottling.  It's butter colored in color although this is all goat milk and doesn't have much color.  Any ideas what this is?  I'm going to try to attach a photo.  Also noticed some small spots of mold starting.  The cheese exterior feels moist....does it need to dry more?  What should I wipe the mold with?  Salt water brine?  White vinegar?  (pure strength or diluted?)   I think I need to keep the lid off the container or at least ajar but am not sure.  Note: the cheese did age at a higher temperature for it's first 4 days because I didn't have the wine fridge set up.  It was in a cool-ish cellar and inside it's airtight container because I didn't know what else to do.  Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.