Author Topic: Edam  (Read 3338 times)

knipknup

Edam
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
I added a bit of lipase to this one and it definitely gave it a tangy, milk kind of flavor.  This is the first one where I let more of a natural rind form instead of straight to the vac-pac.

Tomer1

Re: Edam
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
How long did you age it and how does it taste and smell?  Using lipase on such a high moisture cheese should yeild a good amount of "sharpness" even at 2-3 months.

knipknup

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
It is very young - 8 weeks.

It is vac-pac'd now for longer aging.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »
How does it taste at 8 weeks?

I'm still looking for a young slicable cheese to feed my house instead of the overpriced flavorless commerical stuff :)

knipknup

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »
It tastes great to me.  The lipase may have been a little much.  I'll add the recipe in a couple hours when I get home.

I am impressed.  The other cheeses I've made have been pretty bland at the young stage.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:53:19 AM »
Which cultures do you use?  What kind of milk? Which recipe?

I am so excited, just stocked up on some heavy duty micro-perforated Edam/Mimolette moulds. Can't wait to use them for something creative!

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
I have been following Margaret Morris' recipe for Edam and opening at 2-3 months. Consistently good. One of my best sellers.
I use my goat milk.

knipknup

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
I used the recipe from 200 Easy...

4 qts 2% cow milk, 2 qts whole goat milk
1/8 t lipase
1 oz meso
3/8 t calf rennet
3/8 t cacl2
floc time 12 min, total time 38 min
1/2" curd cut

She's still aging away.

I have only been using the meso culture that came with my initial purchase of the Mad Millie soft cheese kit. I made a mother culture from 1% milk and use a 1 oz cube for each batch.  I've been eyeing all those other specialty cultures, but having ordered anything yet.

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »
No curd washing/cooking? That's a really major step for Edam!

I know you didn't get these cultures directly (they were in your kit as you say) but personally I would stay away from the Mad Millie cultures. They are a bit mysterious (not clear who makes them and what are the strains and which additives were added. This isn't really a culture house so you don't know how its been handled or where it came from or who certified it. There are no data sheets form them that can compare them to other cultures). ...MOREOVER, they tiny and expensive; $12 buys you a 3-pack mesophilic starter, each pack inoculates 8 liters / 2 gallons. (so $12 to inoculate 24 liters or 4 gallons).  The same $12 buys you a 50u size package of CHR-Hansen Flora Danica which will inoculate 1,000 liters / 265 gallons of milk (and lasts for 2 years in the freezer)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywhoo, for Gouda and Edam I suggest to use Danisco Choozit KAZU or mix of LH100 with either MA11 or RA21. It will give you that traditional flavor and texture you expect to have in these Dutch cheeses. Really nice cultures! You can use them on many other cheeses.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:30:35 AM by iratherfly »

knipknup

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:45:59 AM »
I did wash and such. I followed the procedure in the 200 easy book. I just didn't type all that out.
Thanks for the culture suggestions. You are feeding my temptation.

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
Anytime! I will dig up that book from my library and look at the recipe.

Can't wait to start playing with my ridiculous ball-shaped Edam mould! I am going to produce some ridiculous cheeses with this thing. I'll send photos when I get it

hoeklijn

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
Can't wait to start playing with my ridiculous ball-shaped Edam mould! I am going to produce some ridiculous cheeses with this thing.

Have you seen Mythbusters about this subject?:
It has been said in 1847, Commodore Coe of the Uruguayan navy, short of ammunition, defeated the navy of Argentina by bombarding them with cheese cannon balls -- Ducth baby Edams.

iratherfly

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
I thought that story was about Mimolette, wasn't it?

hoeklijn

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »
To be honest, I had to look up what you ment with " Mimolette", amazing how I'm learning every day in the cheese-world... I only knew this legend with Edam cheeses, but looking on wiki to Mimolette, I wouldn't be surprised if they used that variety, they look as solid as cannon balls!

iratherfly

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
Man, you have to get outside of Holland more often!  >:D

Mimolette is indeed more solid. Almost reminds me of a young Parmesan in flavor and dyed with lots of Annatto. It is mostly famous for its rind because it is the product of cheese mites. who create a lot of ammonia, though the cheese isn't ammoniated at all!  It is a hard cheese which is also drier than Edam.