Author Topic: Feta - Surface Mushy In Brine  (Read 337 times)

Offline dukegus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Feta - Surface Mushy In Brine
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:43:36 AM »
Let's start from the top.
I had 10 lt of raw 80/20 goat/sheep milk.

I pasteurized at 65 for a few minutes and then dropped down to 42C. It was 3am so I couldn't wait for the temp to drop down more.
I added about 100ml of yogurt(thermophilic? starter) and about 50ml of buttermilk (mesophilic? starter) and after a 40 min inoculation I added
quite a bit of artisan made rennet from sheep's stomachs. I didn't measure flocculation because I didn't know what it was then but I had an
amazing clean break which I had never seen in my life in less that 30min.

I cut the curds in 2-3cm chunks left to settle for 10 min and then throw everything in a very big cheese cloth(muslin?). I left at room temp(30C) overnight
to drain and at the morning I put in a mold and turned a couple of times the next day. I salted in with about 2% by curds weight salt(40 gr for 2 kg curds)
and after 1 more day I put the log of cheese in a water brine of 7% at 12C fridge.

Generally the cheese had quite a hydration because of the big chunks of curds but I could be wrong because I'm inexperienced.
After just a couple of days a mushy rind appeared in the cheese so I too out of brine and dried in the fridge for 1 day and then back in again.
It was very soft and mushy and you could rub it off with your finger. As I read in the fundamentals of cheese science, "Such an effect is responsible for the "soft-rind" defect and swelling in cheese, and it is attributed to "salting-in" (solubilization) of the cheese protein in dilute NaCl solutions."

So finally I bough 6kg of milk and kept the whey and made a 7% whey brine and hopefully 5 days in there now have made it ok again.
Thx for any feedback, I'll try to post some pics too if the problem is still there...

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.