Author Topic: Bitto  (Read 510 times)

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 129
  • As goes the cheesemaker, so goes the cheese
Re: Bitto
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »
The make would be the same, except drop the lipase and replace 10-20% of the cow's milk with your goat's milk.  Proceed as normal.  Let us know how it turns out for you if you make it.

- Jeff
The wise do not always start out on the right path, but they do know when to change course.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Pete S

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
  I just used straight fresh goats milk ,leaving out the lipase and lowering the temp. accordingly.

It is 2 weeks  old and is in the cave so it will be a while till I know how it turns out.

Pete
THE MORE I LEARN----THE MORE THERE IS TO LEARN---PETE

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Hi Pete S,

That should be interesting.  Bitto is a mixed milk cheese, with 10 - 20% goats milk being the minimum and maximum - but it also has to be milk from the proper mountain regions, and from breeds of goats that live there (many of which are now endangered).  So, nothing we do can be "real", so our own creations are often the most interesting.

- Jeff
The wise do not always start out on the right path, but they do know when to change course.

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »
There was a crack in the rind, but it looks more like it was poked with something.  I don't recall dropping it, but it looks like it hit the edge of a chopstick.  Anyway, that corrupted the rind, and sure enough, there's been a blue incursion.  So, this morning I cut that out, and I think I've got it (so it doesn't progress through the cheese).  I then filled the hole with regular table salt (to sterilize the wound, so to speak) and will dump the excess salt later this after noon.  Will see how that goes.  If it looks to be progressing, I may not be able to age this one much longer, so I'll try it young and see if it is one I might make again (who am I kidding, of course I will, if it's good, I'll make it, if I'm not pleased, I'll just assume it was too young and will try again.)

- Jeff

Online Matthewcraig

• Mattcr
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 03:23:52 AM »
a remember reading this article and i though someone may find it interesting, i also presume you are not planning on ageing it for 15 years  ;D http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/eat/oldest-cheese-world-225287
If cheese was as easy as boiling an egg 8)

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
Hi Matthew,

Yah, I saw some other articles about it being aged up to 10 years, but didn't see this one.  I don't think I'll take it out quite that long given the hole in it!  I think this one will be eaten quite soon, actually, given the imperfection.  The 2nd one, though, I'll take out a year I suspect.  I might make one and hide it on myself for a few years.  seems to work well with my keys anyway. ha!

- Jeff

Online Flound

• Mature Cheese
  • Location: Canuckistan, with nothing but the North Atlantic to look at
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Space for rent. Inquire within.
    • Dyslexics Untied
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
Every time I read this thread, Peter Gabriel's 'Biko' runs through my head...
Dyslexics Untied - musings from an easily distracted mind
http://dylsexic.ca