Author Topic: Cheese Cave Ventilation Question  (Read 1987 times)

peter

Cheese Cave Ventilation Question
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
I am thinking of installing a vent fan in my cheese cave (11.5 Cu. Ft Refigerator). It is an 18 cfm fan that I would wire to a timer to run for 10 minutes 4 time a day, I would mount the fan high and the intake low and filter both, this would most likely cause the fan to move only 9 cfm, so i would change the air 10 times each cycle. This would get rid of any built up gas and clear out some of the moist air. I plan on hanging dry cured sausages in the lower 1/2 that is the main reason for doing this. Any opinions or advice on this?

Lacom

Re: Cheese Cave Ventilation Question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:59:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with venting the cheese cave the way you described. All is good until you start maturing mold ripened cheeses along with your dry cured sausages.  :o

I have fully controlled meat curing chamber for dry curing sausages and salamis. I did ripen some Camembert when there was no meat hanging there. Ever since all my sausages are covered with white mold. Cleaned thoroughly with bleach couple of times to no avail. Lucky I didn't cure a blue in there. Greenish-blue mold on the meat is always bad news.

I'm working on the separate, smaller chamber for cheese that would be kept far away from any meat.