Gooey & Sinful...Third Edition

Started by Boofer, July 02, 2012, 01:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boofer

Four weeks in and need to wrap it up.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mtncheesemaker

Lookin' good, Boofer. Where did you get that big wrapping paper?
Pam

Boofer

Our friend, Steve Shapson...The Cheesemaker. Here it is.

Seems to work pretty well for what I do.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

mtncheesemaker

jrhockey33

I can't wait to see the final product! Very nice looking cheese and great videos!

Boofer

My target aging for this style is 42 days as suggested by the Reblochon videos. This one got cut 3 days early. Not a bad decision at all. The selection of cultures for this make was a departure from my earlier two makes. Part of that decision was to see if I could simplify the culture addition. Simplify I did! Very nice cheese. I think I'll make that my standard going forward.

I realize I still have my Reb #4 in process using the original culture mix, but this make is inspirational for me. Of course I will repeat it to convince myself that it can be consistent. So far, it sure looks that way. Yum!  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Hande

Boofer, your Reb is thing of beauty  :)
Now you nailing it, cheese for you.

Hande

Boofer

Thanks, Hande.

Seems like the recipe/process is becoming more reliable. I'll keep working at it. I picked up some spruce boards yesterday so that I can fine-tune just a little more.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

I agree with Hande.  That's a beautiful cheese Boofer, so another cheese to you.

Boofer

Thanks, Jeff. I'm in there slugging away.  :)

I took a half wheel over to share with my Dad today because he liked Reb #2 so much. This one didn't disappoint today either. He helped me finish my spruce boards for Reb #4 today before lunch. I'm getting him involved in the cheesemaking process. Good stuff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

mtncheesemaker

Looks good! Wish I could taste it.

hoeklijn

Great looking cheeses again Boofer! Interesting idea to use spruce boards. I know that a lot of cheesefarms here use wooden shelfs to mature their (coated) cheeses, but I have to ask what kind of wood it is....
But meanwhile a cheese to you for the Rebs!

Boofer

Quote from: hoeklijn on August 11, 2012, 11:33:07 AM
Great looking cheeses again Boofer! Interesting idea to use spruce boards. I know that a lot of cheesefarms here use wooden shelfs to mature their (coated) cheeses, but I have to ask what kind of wood it is....
But meanwhile a cheese to you for the Rebs!
Thanks for the cheese, Herman.

The wood is spruce. I'm trying to adhere to Yoav's guidance on creating the perfect Reblochon. Although I seemed to be on the right track to produce acceptable cheeses, I wanted to tighten up my process just a little more. We'll see how it works out.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

Oooh, I missed that one, nice one Boofer! a cheese for you! I am waiting anxiously to hear about the current edition!

Boofer

Quote from: iratherfly on August 21, 2012, 09:09:24 PM
Oooh, I missed that one, nice one Boofer! a cheese for you! I am waiting anxiously to hear about the current edition!
Thanks, Yoav. Three weeks...September 9th. I'm counting the days. There are a few changes in the Reb #4 make that should be interesting.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!