Author Topic: Brie #2 - UPDATED - Cut open today  (Read 3569 times)

jerseyknollfarm

Brie #2 - UPDATED - Cut open today
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
I thought it was a lost cause because after 9 days I still had absolutely no PC growth.  I decided that the outside surface of the cheese was still too wet so I dry salted it again and by the next day we had some bloom.

These pictures were taken today.  14 days after make and 5 days since PC growth began.
Side 1:

Side 2:

I am not sure how long to leave them before I wrap and put into a cooler refrigerator since it took so long for them to begin to bloom.  Any advice would be appreciated.  The bloom on side #2 isn't as good as side #1.  Side #2 is face up right now so I'm hoping by tomorrow it has evened out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:53:19 AM by jerseyknollfarm »

iratherfly

Re: Brie #2
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »
Looks very thin so I would do this on the early side to prevent it from drying. It will ripen very quickly because it's so thin.

Normal for PC to show up that late, especially if you did not use Geo or used a slow PC strain. I would avoid over-salting it though. If it's too humid and all you see is Geo growth, open the lid of your box a bit more to reduce ambient moisture.

jerseyknollfarm

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »
I thought it looked too thin as well.  I did use Geo and PC.  I think it is ready and was going to cut it open today.

jerseyknollfarm

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:51:24 AM »
I cut into the Brie today....absolutely perfect!  I am so excited to try another one.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Brie #2 - UPDATED - Cut open today
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
Wow, that looks really scrumptious! Oooh....  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:27:47 AM »
A cheese to you!  That is a fantastic looking Brie! 

- Jeff

jerseyknollfarm

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
I'm making puff pastry today to enjoy this cheese.  My favorite way to eat Brie is stuffed inside a puff pastry shell and top it with honey, pecans, dried currants, and fresh rosemary before closing it all up and baking it.  My mouth is watering...

cowboycheese

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
You need some type of quality control in your process. My wife and I will be right over for sampling.   ;)

I hope my first cam turns out as good as your brie!

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 06:13:16 AM »
Beautiful! That's exactly how it should be!
The paste looks incredibly supple!  You can go thinner on the rind if you want it more French-traditional (especially for such thin cheese) but regardless; this is  one nice looking cheese!

What cultures did you use? What milk?

jerseyknollfarm

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
I used 1 gallon of our raw jersey cow's milk.  I used whole milk which has at least a pint of cream per gallon.

I am kicking myself right now because I can't remember if I used MA16 or Flora Danica to culture and I forgot to write it down.  I did use PC neige and Geo.

Susie

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
That looks wonderful! I can't wait to try making these. My husband is drooling. (and begging!)

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
Yea, that Jersey milk has lots of fat, especially in summer. It gives you softer cheese and sharper flavor because of lipolysis of all of that fat. Nice.

MA 16 is more dense (no eyes) and less buttery than Flora Danica.  PC Neige grows very tall and fast.