Author Topic: Freeze Dried Starters Cultures - traveling to another country  (Read 3164 times)

luiscaraubas

Hi. I'm Luís and i'm from Brazil. Unfortunatelly, there isn't here good supplies (at least i didn't find until now). So, i intend to order some cultures from U.S.A. to ship to me. Usually, the time of the shipping is about 1 month. Plus custom and taxes can take 40 days to receive them in my hands. Well, my question is about if fungs like PC, Geo and PR still have effectiveness. I think there won't be a great issue with the starter cultures after the great post of Sailor http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5165.0.html , but if there is a problem because of the long time without the frozen temperature, please, let me now.

linuxboy

Re: Freeze Dried Starters Cultures - traveling to another country
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »
If you can afford it, try USPS express mail. You should have it in your hands within 2 weeks in Brazil.

Your cultures will die off some, but should still retain viability. Depends on just how hot it gets.

luiscaraubas

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:00:23 PM »
As always, thanks for the great guidance, linuxboy. Is there a way to measure the effectiveness of the PC, Geo or PR without to do a cheese? If it's possible, how should I adjust for the cheese?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
There is, technically, but without a lab, your measurement instruments are not fine enough, nor are the conditions controlled enough to eliminate variables.

I would make a very small amount of cheese using a normal recipe for a baseline and see the results, then adjust. Really, there's no way to know until you start working with your environment.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:20:19 PM »
I'd wait till the coldest time of the year to do it, not now during the summer.

I remember some brazilian user posted pictures of the construction of his impressive cave\operation, maybe you can contact him for help - as he might do bulk orders.

luiscaraubas

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
Again, thanks linuxboy. Tommer1, i would appreciate so much if  you could give me the link of this brasilian guy?

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »
Again, thanks linuxboy. Tommer1, i would appreciate so much if  you could give me the link of this brasilian guy?

I think this is the right link http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4148.30.html
and that's the guy: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1748

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
You should check out Global Priority Mail. Great service to most countries and reasonably priced. Just $16.95 for up to 4 pounds from the USA to Brazil. Delivered in 6 to 10 days.

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
In my experience, priority mail to Brazil will often take a month, unless you're in Rio or Sao Paolo. Express Mail costs a bit more, but will get there faster. For cultures, might be worth the added cost.

luiscaraubas

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:58:06 PM »
I agree, Linuxboy, it's really worth it! Sailor and Vina, thank you very much for the great help. I'll take all the notes.