Author Topic: Miso wash: delicious or dangerous?  (Read 60 times)

Offline venhausa

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Miso wash: delicious or dangerous?
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
Has anyone ever tried washing with miso? Since it's unpasteurized, I can only imagine how the bacteria will change the cheese! Could this be too much? If I were to attempt this, does anyone have suggestions for which style cheese I should start with?

I also have a nuka (pickling bed) from my honeymoon in Japan that is made of sake lees (the bits left over from sake fermentatation). It smells so beautiful and I'm dying to use it for something other than my pickling. Imagine a combination of subtle fruitiness, umami, yeast and alcohol, with a hint of sourdough bread in the background.

I'll take any suggestions and try any experiments that are thrown out there for me!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:04:23 PM by venhausa »

Offline John@PC

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 79
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
Re: Miso wash: delicious or dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:40:21 PM »
Hi venhousa and congratulations.  Sounds like your honeymoon was one to remember :).  Based on what I read about miso I don't think there would be any problems other than creating an off-taste but you never know until you try.  Miso has a paste-like consistency so you probably want to "thin" it.   You can pretty much rind wash any cheese (except for the bloomies and blues) but for an experiment you could take a basic washed rind cheese recipe and go from there.  Then again, my "World Encyclopedia of Cheese" doesn't list a single Japanese cheese??   It would be an interesting experiment.