Author Topic: The Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe + Tips + Fun Facts!  (Read 61810 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: The Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe + Tips + Fun Facts!
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2013, 03:35:13 AM »
All French recipes I have seen use that notation, where the floc multiplier is the measurement of the wait time after the time to floc:

- Step 1: time to floc
- Step 2: multiplier x time to floc, added to time to floc

seems about right. Remember, this is traditionally excellent milk, not Holstein. Protein structure would well support overall 2.5x.

Jumping in here about a year late but this has been a regular point of confusion.
LinuxBoy is right in his initial floc statement and also in that this is what the french have always done. Years ago I took a workshop with Roland Perrin from the National Dairy School in Poligny France and we were all confused by his floc timing until we realized that his 'floc x factor' numbers were to be added to the total floc time and not the total coagulation time. Glad I learned this when I did because it saved me a lot of confusion vat side

See, now I thought I had a good understanding...and then I read this.

My understanding: 4x floc factor; it takes 15 minutes to floc; 4 x 15 minutes = 60 minutes; 60 minutes minus the time to floc (15 min) = 45 minutes left before cutting. Is this incorrect? ???

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2013, 04:35:28 AM »
No, is correct, but the French do it differently (also correct). My point was really about knowing how to adapt recipes not only from the tradition, but also according to milk differences. To understand how to achieve similar end result. Floc is not absolute, either, though it's better than "clean break"

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
Whew! Good to know I'm not losing it. 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

linuxboy

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

I wouldn't go that far.   :P  :P

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2013, 12:28:03 AM »

I wouldn't go that far.   :P  :P
I knew I was edging out on that limb. ::) 

There are days....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »

• 1/8 tsp MY800 (or Thermo B)

IRF, or Pav, or anyone - any particular reason for going with bulgaricus, as opposed to LH, here?  (i.e., Thermo B over Thermo C?).  I've forgotten anything comparing these two and their profiles.  Thanks.

Paul
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
LH acidifies lower and can cause late acid defects. Not a huge issue if you're cooking that curd down to low 30s or lower moisture and aging t out because that acid is then used as food by NSLAB, which makes the cheese tasty over time. But in making emmentalers (or other thermo holeys) and younger aged cheeses, generally LH is not ideal. It'll work OK in a pinch if nothing else is available.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:55 PM »
Thanks, Pav.  Just didn't know the reason for Thermo B v. C in this recipe.  If you know of any good literature to get me going again on the cascading and microbio. profiles/behaviors of these species, very much appreciated as usual!

Paul
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
Sorry if this was covered already, but Yoav, eagerly anticipating making exactly as you lay out, here...my previous "rebs" were wonderful, but way too linens, I realize now with the perspective of time, to really be true to style.  So I'm looking forward to duplicating to a T, and learning from it.  Thanks for a wonderful thread, once again.

My only question goes to the recommended 3 lbs. per mould, with the reb molds (at 5.5" d.), and recommended psi of .2.  By my calculation, 3 lbs on top of a 5.5 d. mould yields 0.13 psi, not .2.  To get .2 psi, I get 5.25 lbs., and that seems like a lot of weight on top of reb curds - yes?  Is this PSI figure correct?

Also, I've long thought of trying a prematuration regimen on my creamline, store-bought (for now) milk, but haven't seen any specific guidelines (I thought Pav, you talked about this somewhere, but couldn't find it).  Gianaclis Caldwell talks about it in her wonderful book, but there aren't any specific figures (she does recommend 12 hrs at 46-50).  Absent any other knowledge, I was planning on 1/64 tsp per gallon, kept at regular reefer temp for 36 hours.  Reasonable, experts?

Thanks much!

Paul
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:06:40 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Stephanie

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »
Just a quick question... I read through 3-4 pages of comments (not the whole 9) so I apologize if this has been addressed already.

Can I adjust this down to 2 gallons by just halving everything?

Best;

jmason

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:32 PM »
I don't see why not.  I wouldn't halve the cultures personally, maybe use 2/3 the amount roughly.  As Yoev said maintain the form factor.  I think it would work fine, ripening might be faster with a smaller cheese.

John

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2015, 05:43:25 AM »
Yes you can I usually make 3 gallons at a time but some times I will do 2 gallons and it works out just fine.

And I would half every thing , or you will speed up the timing of every thing, this is okay if you have a ph meter to know when you are hitting your targets but with out it you will probably end up with a cheese that is too acidic  and thus will take longer to age correctly .

1 thing to remember is not to start washing the rind until it gets the slimey geo coating  , if you wash too soon the b linens takes longer to show up .

And jason is correct try to maintain the form factor,  width to hight

Offline fattyacid

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
    • Lark's Meadow Farms
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2021, 06:25:59 AM »
BUMP!!!!!
Whence come I and whither go I? That is the great unfathomable question, the same for every one of us. Science has no answer to it.
Max Planck