Author Topic: The Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe + Tips + Fun Facts!  (Read 61833 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: The Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe + Tips + Fun Facts!
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:53 PM »
Thanks lofty Notions!  That gives me some sort of idea.  I'm a bit concerned that I didn't salt them enough but time will tell I suppose.  In the meantime it's good that no one is usually around when I open the Reblochon boxes. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:48 AM »
You're always such a help, Boofer!  it's good to see you back.  When you didn't post for a few days I was hoping you hadn't been away because of your Dad not being well. 

So, seriously, do your Reblochon stink?  And like what?
Thanks for missing me.  ;)

Been a little distracted. Dad has a cracked rib from yard work. He's 89...he'll recover. My dear wife has been in the hospital circuit since bypass surgery the end of August. Hopefully, she'll get paroled next week. My fool son fell off his roof and lacerated a kidney. He's out of the hospital now, but still recovering at home. Otherwise, Knickie and I are fine.  :)

I have played "Smell this cheese!" with my wife and other family members, but the only significant response I got was from my sister-in-law, whose comment was something along the lines of "a baby diaper". Really? ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »
Botanist, it's probably lost in translation. If you have ever seen the affinage you will see that it is clearly on boards and the decree says it should be too.  This is why the wash regiment is only for the top part (because the boards+wash would suffocate and dissolve the rind on the bottom. That wouldn't be an issue if you are using any surface that lets air in).

etc. etc. etc.

• Age the cheese; move it IMMEDIATELY to the cave at 50°F/11°C and 95% RH. Place the cheese on spruce boards if you can get some (avoid other woods due to aroma and tanins. Also avoid treated wood. Only use raw wood and only wash it with boiling water and coarse salt).

I read on a French website/blog today that the DOC Reblochon must be aged on spruce branches or boughs, not boards, but maybe that was a translation error?
[/list]

Tomer1

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
What kind of sticker do they use?  is it just simple paper with food safe dye?   It would be nice to put on older aged cheeses which begin with a sticky wash and then are left for the rind to thicken and dry up.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
Wow, nubbins! Nice pics. Motivates me to crank up a batch.

Those do look good.

What kind of sticker do they use?  is it just simple paper with food safe dye?
I read somewhere that they were made of casein.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »

Been a little distracted. Dad has a cracked rib from yard work. He's 89...he'll recover. My dear wife has been in the hospital circuit since bypass surgery the end of August. Hopefully, she'll get paroled next week. My fool son fell off his roof and lacerated a kidney. He's out of the hospital now, but still recovering at home. Otherwise, Knickie and I are fine.  :)

I have played "Smell this cheese!" with my wife and other family members, but the only significant response I got was from my sister-in-law, whose comment was something along the lines of "a baby diaper". Really? ::)

-Boofer-
[/quote]

Oh Boofer, that's a lot!  I'm so sorry to hear of all the mishaps/challenges in your family!  I hope everyone heals well.  Good thing you have Knickie to keep you company and be a cheese sniffer.  You do, of course, have the power to make cheeses that will heal anything probably given how careful you are with your makes and how good you are at babying the rounds during affinage.

Hmmm, baby diaper?  Depends upon what the baby had been eating I guess.  I hope my Rebs pillow out at some point (although not like a baby diaper).  I don't know how badly my neglect affected them......improper temps, etc.  I guess if I ever sell cheese I'll need to use the by line of a local cheese label I saw at the coop.  It was something along the lines of " do expect a very wide range of flavors from batch to batch".  Ha!  That's a good way to say it!   ;)

Sending this vase of our garden roses for your wife. 

bbracken677

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
You're always such a help, Boofer!  it's good to see you back.  When you didn't post for a few days I was hoping you hadn't been away because of your Dad not being well. 

So, seriously, do your Reblochon stink?  And like what?

-Boofer-

Hey Boofer! our prayers are with you and hope all works out well! 
LOL I love the "smell this cheese game" with my wife as well...I am pretty sure, based on past experience, that she wont be enthusiastic about my coming forme d'ambert   :)

iratherfly

« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Oh no Boofer! sorry to hear about it. My wife had ribs issues too. A couple of weeks ago she coughed and went into enormous pain. We went to the hospital and they told her it was a spasm and she needed to put tiger balm on it.  Figuring out that they were morons, we went to her super talented chiropractor and she immediately figured out that yes, there was indeed a spasm ...it was caused by 5 ribs that were knocked out of their place just below it. She took 2½ hours to adjust her and at the end of that she wrapped her in this thing and gave her a push and then *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* I heard them all snapping back into place and she was fine ever since.  I suppose it's rib issue season?

You should keep your family doing less dangerous stuff... say, making cheese?

Anyway, I wish all 3 of them well and I hope everyone is in good shape for the upcoming holidays.  Please send them my best.

iratherfly

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »

What kind of sticker do they use?  is it just simple paper with food safe dye?   It would be nice to put on older aged cheeses which begin with a sticky wash and then are left for the rind to thicken and dry up.
As Boofer said, these are indeed casein labels. They are not stickers, the whey serves as a good enough glue.  Many cheeses have these markes and some of them are consecutively numbered or have the a tracing number so you can figure out which of the producers in a co-op made it.

In the case of Reblochon, they use green sticker to indicate a farmstead producer (by their definition, a producer making it with their own milk) and a red sticker to indicate artisanal or factory production that is not on a farm, where milk can be brought from many dairy farmers, (all of which must be participating Reblochon Co-Op members)

The green label Reblochon is often referenced to as "Reblochon Fermier" and is is usually more expensive than the red label.

By the way... I sell the casein labels. I have them in many different sizes, colors and shapes.

Tomer1

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »
I meant the paper and print itself not whats holding it to the cheese.  I've made casein glue before for homemade wine labels :)

linuxboy

« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »
Tomer, they're actually made from casein. No glue, they adhere by the residual moisture.

Tomer1

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
The paper is from casein instead of cellulose?  thats brilient.

iratherfly

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »
Yes Tomer. I was talking about the same thing. The paper and print are made of casein. As Boofer, Linuxboy and myself were saying.... Brilliant indeed.

Here's everything you've ever wanted to know about them but was too afraid to ask: Labelys.

JeffHamm

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
Hi Boofer,

Just saw your recent collection of family woes.  Sorry to hear.  My thoughts are with you and your family, hope they are all home and well again soon.  Feed them cheese, and tell them to be good from now on.  Take care.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
Thanks for all of your kind thoughts. All of my family will come out of their predicaments okay.

And yes, where I can, I've tried to soothe them with cheese. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!