Author Topic: The Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe + Tips + Fun Facts!  (Read 61760 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: The Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe + Tips + Fun Facts!
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »
Hello.  This is an old thread but my question does follow on from the initial posts so I thought I would give it a try...

I don't easily have access to MY800 in Australia, but I can get TM 080 series.  If I use TM 81 plus LH100 I can get the delbreuckii bulgaricus plus the delbreuckii lactis, but I will also get some Lactobacillus helveticus - do you think this will cause any problems or will the helveticus just sit in the background?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

NV.

shotski

« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »
This chart may help you figure it out.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21:10 AM »
Thanks Shotski.

Yes I have seen this - its very good.  I know what is in these culture mixes, I was just wondering if adding in Lactobacillus helveticus would cause any problems with the Reblochon since it isn't normally used in the make.

NV.

iratherfly

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Helveticus won't kill your Reblochon but it will alter its flavor profile and may make it more stable and less supple/gooey.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
Helveticus won't kill your Reblochon but it will alter its flavor profile and may make it more stable and less supple/gooey.
Hey, Yoav, a few folks have been asking about moulds. I've tried to remember where your posting of all the moulds you have access to, but I can't seem to find it. Could you post a thread somewhere extolling the merchandise you have available? Thanks.

By the way, I love those stackable microperf moulds I bought from you. They work great.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2013, 01:08:12 AM »
...and that is exactly what happened to my reblochon - it is more stable and less gooey!

iratherfly

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
Hey, Yoav, a few folks have been asking about moulds. I've tried to remember where your posting of all the moulds you have access to, but I can't seem to find it. Could you post a thread somewhere extolling the merchandise you have available? Thanks.

By the way, I love those stackable microperf moulds I bought from you. They work great.

-Boofer-

Thanks Boofer!

Okay, I heard that there was some chatter around here about my products from other people too.  The reason I haven't posted anything is because I am in a "soft launch" mode, meaning the site is *finally* out but some photos, descriptions, pricing data and about 180 products are still missing.  All significan technical bugs have been resolved and whatever is on the site can be purchased online already using a credit card or paypal. International shipping too.

So keeping it "quiet" for about 10 more days before official announcements go out, the site is http://artisangeek.com - because we are all sort of artisan geeks... right?  Remember that it's a "sneak preview" and most of the stuff will look proper in about 10 days.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:18:52 PM by iratherfly »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
Looks good so far, Yoav. I'll be waiting.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Brie

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2013, 04:01:49 AM »
I've been attempting this cheese for several years--love it! Here's my last make--needs air 3 times per week.

iratherfly

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
Brie, try doing this with the tips at the beginning of this thread (it's a very long post) - see if you like the difference. The rind would be a bit smoother and more pale. The paste will be more gooey/supple/runny.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
I decided to give it a go today and all went pretty well I think.  Next week will be chevrotin since I can get quality goat's milk for half the price of raw cow.  One dumb question.....you use cheese cloth in the mold right?

mbox

« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2013, 07:30:45 AM »
its long overdue , but a big thanks to Yoav(aka iratherfly)  for this outstanding procedure to Reblochon.
I attach a picture from my recent make ( along with some other cheeses i make )  the Reblochon on the picture  are the 2x 10cm/4" wheels where the Camembert leans against...
I am aware that the dimensions are not original but smaller wheels are easier to portion control and thus requested like this ...

zvisaar

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
good recipee
very good detailed i m going to try it and tell later the results.....
hope to see you soon and col akavod.....

Offline JayW

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
    • cheesemaking.com
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
All French recipes I have seen use that notation, where the floc multiplier is the measurement of the wait time after the time to floc:

- Step 1: time to floc
- Step 2: multiplier x time to floc, added to time to floc

seems about right. Remember, this is traditionally excellent milk, not Holstein. Protein structure would well support overall 2.5x.

Jumping in here about a year late but this has been a regular point of confusion.
LinuxBoy is right in his initial floc statement and also in that this is what the french have always done. Years ago I took a workshop with Roland Perrin from the National Dairy School in Poligny France and we were all confused by his floc timing until we realized that his 'floc x factor' numbers were to be added to the total floc time and not the total coagulation time. Glad I learned this when I did because it saved me a lot of confusion vat side

AND on another point referring to this process as being very confusing,  mentioned by someone here ..
.. truth is that it is really not .. they do this twice a day and it fits into a 12 hour cycle
the morning cheese go into the brine when the evening milk comes into the vat and when the final weight goes onto the evening cheese they come out and are ready for the warm room shelf (usually the make room). They make the process fit the rest of their work day. Savoie is one of my favorite areas and I have watched and taken notes with a lot of folks making Reblochon on the mountain. They make it all look pretty simple.

Jim Wallace .. the "Tech Guy" at www.cheesemaking.com
                    ...... current workshops are online and filling up quickly now! http://www.cheesemaking.com/JimW.html

linuxboy

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:01 AM »
Thanks, Jim. Appreciate your input.