Author Topic: Creamery - Sharing Workspace, Implications?  (Read 1045 times)

iratherfly

Creamery - Sharing Workspace, Implications?
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
Admin Comment: Split off following separate topic:

Sorry to hijack the conversation... but I am looking at a fantastic creamery space in Brooklyn.  I had this idea of using the space for my cheese but also to offer it to share/rent to other guest cheesemakers on days where I will not be making cheese in order to reduce startup costs.  What do you guys think? Is this feasible?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:01:48 PM by Webmaster »

linuxboy

Re: Creamery - Sharing Workspace, Implications?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
For affinage, yes. For the make, no, unless you can somehow have a single dedicated, trainer person handle all the sanitary aspects. You do not want someone contaminating the facility and another maker's product. I am also not sure it would be allowed. If you can trust someone to follow protocol, might be feasible. Tricky to do well, requires trust and performance.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:32:38 PM by linuxboy »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:59 AM »
In Kentucky, it is the facility NOT the person that is licensed for cheese making. So I would be allowed to rent my space to anybody, just like renting a commercial kitchen. NY may be different. I personally sanitize the heck out of everything with StarSan anyway.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
Yoav,
I actually spoke to my inspector when you first thought of sharing my space.
It is doable but there was something about one plant. In other words if cheese is made at my plant no matter who makes it and with what milk my plant # MUST go on the label. I am then ultimately responsible for it. Your label can have your name but my plant #

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »
Sorry you guys, i asked a question and them disappeared... I was traveling for over a month and now that I am back I am totally flooded with work. Not just on the commerce business (which will supply artisan cheesemakers as well as those who make other artisan foods), but also, yes - on a creamery.

I will post more info as it becomes available, but I met with the inspectors last week and indeed, as you guys have suggested; it is the facility that is certified, so whatever other cheesemakers make at my facility goes out under my plant number and my plant name ...and should probably be covered under my liability insurance too. Got a lot of tips from them (super nice inspectors, totally helpful and cheery). They loved the facility (and when you guys see it, it will blow your socks off. One of you guys actually have already seen it - you know who you are).

As Pav has suggested, yes -any cheesemaker who will produce at this place must be making compatible cheese and I must completely trust their skill and that they follow my standards of sanitation and safety to the teeth.  It would be as important as having them pay the rent...

Exciting times here!

Steff... I hear we have mutual friends?  Did my friend Jon came and saw you? I tasted the cheese he made with your milk. Just as I remembered it; your milk is absolutely fantastic.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
Yes Yoav he did.
I have been making Crottin as you suggested. I go to the local farmers market with it and it is the first cheese to sell out every week. Every one loves it! Check us out  www.rockhillfarmersmarket.com
Thanks!!

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
That's incredible Steff! Congrats! Photos of the cheese anywhere?