Author Topic: Germ-free new cave  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
Germ-free new cave
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
I'm about to finish shelving in new cheese cave in our basement. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9755.0.html

As different wild and unwanted stuff is a concern, I was thinking of some kind satirizing the space.
What is your opinion about using germicidal lamp producing ultraviolet light? (before I put any cheese in the cave).

your comments?
Thanks in advace :)

Tomer1

Re: Germ-free new cave
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
You will need alot of energy to reach efficiency in this space.

Did you seal the blocks as suggested?  what did you do about the floor?

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
yes, we sealed all the large cracks between bricks, covered all walls and ceiling with antiseptic coating.
Though still have not done anything with the floor. You can't see very well on photos, but its an old clay brick flooring. I don' t have many ideas about it.

Why do you think it will take a lot of energy to reach an efficiency? Do you mean cooling down the place during summer?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
UV also puts out a lot of heat.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »
UV also puts out a lot of heat.

yes, it does. What' s if I sanitise the cave before starting to use it? Just in case. Any pros / cons?

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
I mean that a small Uv light bulbe will not creat enough radiation to efficienty sanitize the space, you need alot of Wattage.   I dont think its a viable option for you.

Regarding floor, I suggest you cover with concrete and then do a chemical\food processing epoxy.  Its not cheap though but it will even get you to FDA standarts if you ever want to go commerical.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
I mean that a small Uv light bulbe will not creat enough radiation to efficienty sanitize the space, you need alot of Wattage.   I dont think its a viable option for you.

Regarding floor, I suggest you cover with concrete and then do a chemical\food processing epoxy.  Its not cheap though but it will even get you to FDA standarts if you ever want to go commerical.

I see. I have germicidal lamp for health care use. Its manual claims that 2h of work sanitizes 15sq,m room. One like this, hope it'll work.

Thanks for floring suggestion. I hope one day go commercial, but i don't plan using this cave. This is going to be for my hobby and experiments. Anyway - I really appreciate yout help! Thanks!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
I would just spray everything with bleach a few days before you start to use the cave. Cheap and quick. And from a biological standpoint, MUCH more effective. The UV depends on close, direct contact and can miss lots of things. Cool light though.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »
I would just spray everything with bleach a few days before you start to use the cave. Cheap and quick. And from a biological standpoint, MUCH more effective. The UV depends on close, direct contact and can miss lots of things. Cool light though.

Thanks!
Hope combining both methods will give the results :)