Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Horizontal Cut  (Read 4521 times)

MooMaid

Curd Cutter - Horizontal Cut
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:04:42 AM »
Greetings,  I've been trying to figure out the best way to do the horizontal cut when it comes to cutting the curd. Seems like those things are fantastically expensive. So I'm wondering would it be possible to use a folding cake rack such as this: http://www.fantes.com/images/121330racks.jpg or like this one http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Essentials-Calphalon-Cooling-Rack/dp/B001CF4C1U/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1234339196&sr=8-25 ?
Does the cutter need to be very sharp? Thanks for any ideas!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Curd Cutter - Horizontal Cut
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »
No they don't need to be sharp. Usually the sharpness comes from this wire. The best part is it's going to be real cheap. I don't remember but I think I got it at a Dollar Store or Ikea or somewhere it's going to be cheap. They have these cheap folding cooling rack. The ones used for cookies. Like the ones you posted but since they are cheap the wires are WAY smaller, look for those. If you need an example I can post a pic of the cooling rack I have. I don't use mine for cheese, but there's no reason not to. Garrit on here uses something similar, he goes by Sing.

MooMaid

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »
Oh please post that pix. I did get a two set  from the Dollar store. But it doesn't fold and of course I have to fit the container to the rack, which means I have to go back to the store and exchange what I just got. (sigh)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »
That was misleading, it doesn't have to fold of course, the main point was the cheaper ones have thinner wires which is more important. What's wrong with the one you got? too big for your pot?

MooMaid

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:05:38 AM »
Well, went to the cash and carry. They have containers that are rated -40 to 210F, with either perforated lids(like what you can stick a spoon in which is where I stick the digital thermometer) or regular lids. The lids are great for helping maintain a steady temp. My container sits in a hotwater bath in a Igloo container with drain plug and this is how I slowly bring my milk up to temp. It makes me nuts to overheat the milk. So the rack that I got from the Dollar store, I would have to somehow cut it with I guess tin snips. I think it might be sharp and cut me eventually, I dunno  ::)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
Moomaid, for the heating of milk try this. Get another digital thermometer, they can be had at Target for $10-$12. Keep the pot in the water and have a second pot of cold water by. When the milk comes up to temp don't worry about stirring or adding culture focus on the heat situation, then pour cold water in the cooler until the temp comes down to 2 degrees higher than what you want your milk temp at. You might have to put the cold water down and drain a little from the cooler, plug it up again and add more cold water. That way you never over heat. It's the way I do it, but on a much larger scale. If you make it by the sink the drain can go in the sink and that makes it much easier and less messy.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:57:55 AM »
MooMaid, good question on horizontal curd cut.

In my mind it's not critical, I've seen some videos of cheese manufacturers just doing vertical cuts.

FYI for others I made a Best Practice - How To Cut Curds with a method most people use for small batches.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
MooMaid, you can also try this:

You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RFJK

Now the cooling racks will work as well, but this kind of ladle you can slice the curd horizontally with as you put it in the curd, a little lower each time, and you can use the ladle to scoop out the curd too.  It's not as elegant as one of those cool harps like Carter makes, but it's working for us!

Anyway I hope that helps if the cooling racks don't work for you.