Author Topic: Cut Gouda and Emmental  (Read 3344 times)

tal_d1

Cut Gouda and Emmental
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »
Cut this morning 10 weeks Gouda and 4 months Emmental .
Both cheese have great texture and no problem of bitterness.
The taste of  the Gouda do not have enough nature.
I have to address some problems: the main one is to get real milk as
those cheese are made of h/p milk and i believe that this is the reason for the boring taste.
Another problem is that the Emmental turn out too dry. the humidity of
my fridge is about 70% so i have to increase it and also i need
to rub the cheese with oil when it's 2 month old.
This is my second time of making those cheese so i am very pleased
with the results.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:20:35 AM by tal_d1 »

MrsKK

Re: Cut Gouda and Emmental
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
They look very nice - great knit, etc.

Try ageing them longer for development of flavor.  Read up on using ripening containers for increasing humidity around individual cheeses, too.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »
The emmentaler looks like the curd may have been a little over cooked, which would make it dry. I judge this by the crumbliness and structure of the interior.

Also the dark yellow color suggests it has dehydrated quite a bit too.

But they do look like decent cheeses.

With an overly hard emmentaler the eyes will not be able to form as well, giving you more the texture of a Swiss mountain cheese. These cheeses are typically cooked harder, so that they can be stored for a long time (they can last 10 years).

I would suggest learning how to do a washed rind, rather than oil , it's really not that hard to do, and will give an emmentaler a more authentic taste, and you can get pretty creative on a wash to add an extra depth of flavor if you so desire, without making your make any harder. I wash mine with white wine, and right now I'm experimenting with a special herb wash I concocted. <-that sentence sure has a lot of commas. o well.

Good work on these cheeses, keep it up! Isch e Guete!

tal_d1

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
Hi Alpkäserei, I agree that i over cooked the emmental. I remember the curds when
i moved them to press, they were very small and very dry so i will give
that attention next time.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
Besides using containers to increase humidity, you can also put a small plate with some water in the fridge.

tal_d1

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »
Something interesting happened since i cut them . Both cheese become
much better. the Emmental turned out to be a great cheese and everyone
just love it. actually it's finished and my wife ask me to make another one.
The Gouda get a little more saltiness and taste better.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
This happens with Swiss type cheeses.

Actually for our alp cheese, if you cut it too soon it is dry and crumbly but gets softer and creamier after 6 to 8 months. This is just because the culture has to break down the solids and produce a creamy inside. Our cheese is made rather dry so that it can age well, and over time the culture makes it more moist. Your emmentaler likely is doing the same thing.

We recently cut a cheese open that was not ready. I knew it was pretty young, but we were out of cheese to eat so I wanted to cut it open. It was just at the point where the inside changes rapidly. SO when I first cut it open, it was very hard and difficult even to cut, but after this you could notice it changing. And the culture obviously was doing this, because during all of this time the signature spiciness/nuttiness of this cheese really became so much stronger. Now the problem is this cheese is almost all, and we don't have another alp cheese that is close to being ready to cut  :'(

But with an Emmental, usually it is not cooked to the point where this should happen. Emmentaler cheese is made so that you can eat it after 90 days, unlike our alp cheese where we think it should be at least 1 year.