Author Topic: My First Tomme  (Read 29560 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My First Tomme
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2012, 04:43:07 AM »
Thanks Bob, I'm glad you're finding them useful.  The Tomme is my first try, and it's linuxboy's procedure.  I

I use a 6 1/4 inch (16 cm) diameter mould for these (it's 6 or 7 inches high).  It's fairly straight sided, though it does get a wee bit smaller near the bottom.  It has a flat bottom, with holes (i.e. not like a cam loop).  The follower came with the mould.  It's just a flat piece of plastic.  I find this is a good size for my 10 and 11 litre makes, so if you can find something similar, pick it up.  Look forward to hearing how your caerphilly and butterkase turn out.  I'm making a butterkase tomorrow, and made a caerphilly last week.

- Jeff

boothrf

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 04:47:13 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I have a similar hoop that I use for my large blues, so will try that one. I'll make up a follower with some old cutting board. Looking forward to trying it next weekend.  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
Hi,

Well, it was developing some blue mould in the vac bag, so I removed it and gave it a scrub down.  I recall Boofer washed one of his under running water, so I did the same.  The rind is stained a nice pink from the b.linens and the blue all washed off (except that which is in the cracks, which could use a bit of attention after work today), similar to a Port Salut I think. Anyway, It's now weighing 1402g.  I'll let it dry off, clean the cracks this evening, then bag it again for more aging.  Another month or so and I'll taste it.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
Clean as a whistle! Looks good.

That's some crack, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  The crack on top is quite wide but only through the rind, not down into the paste, the one down the side is quite superficial.  The internals are all fine as far as I can tell. 

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
Very nice Jeff, this is one I need to try, as soon as my wife gets done canning and I am aloud back in the kitchen :-\
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
Thanks H-K-J.

Next time I'll cook this one longer as it could expel a bit more whey before going into the mould.  I think that is part of the problem behind the splitting.  And, I'll have to get a hygrometer to check the humidity in my boxes.  They seem ok, but I could be wrong.

- Jeff 

Glenda

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 04:01:02 AM »
Say, what is ARN culture?

boothrf

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »
Hi Glenda, ARN is a ripening culture. All the details were posted in this thread so if you go back and read through this thread you will find the information you need.

iratherfly

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
Say, what is ARN culture?
Glenda ARN is a lot like PLA, a mix of ripening cultures (Geo, B.Linens and Yeasts) but instead of giving the cheese the flavor/aroma/look of Savoyard cheeses, it mimics the style of Normandie. I would use it only with soft Tommes though, otherwise it's better with other cheeses.

Glenda

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
Where do you get ARN or is it worth it? Heard it was great!

iratherfly

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
I sell cheesemaking supplies so I actually carry ARN. I personally really love it. 10-dose sachet (enough for 1,000 liters of milk or 265 gallons) costs $16.99. Contact me using the private message if you want details.  I find it to be more colorful and stinky than PLA, but it takes a bit more work to get going in my experience. It really does smells and tastes like cheeses from Normandie and surrounding regions.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
I find it to be more colorful and stinky than PLA, but it takes a bit more work to get going in my experience. It really does smells and tastes like cheeses from Normandie and surrounding regions.
Boy, you're making it tough to ignore, Yoav.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:46 AM »
Okay,  so I've read this thread twice now and now I have urgent questions.  I made a Tomme using LB's recipe and I'd like ti have it develop a natural rind but am not sure how to do that.  It was rubbed with salt rather than brined, it took several days to really dry off and now I'm wondering what to do......do I just put it I a cheese box in my wine fridge or do I wash it with a PLA wash?  or some B. Linens?  I have a few options......  Or do I rub it with olive oil?  (I don't think so). I need to do something pretty quick since it's finally dry.  I have in stock the following cultures thanks to iratherfly; PC-VB,  Geo 13, PLA, LBC80, and PC SAM.  I also have wild b. Linens and blue in my cave........    :-\.     Any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!   :D

iratherfly

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 07:04:54 AM »
If you want to do wild rind, I wouldn't introduce anything else into it. Just put it in the box and wait for crazy colorful fuzz to show up.  Brush is back every couple of weeks and before you know it you will have a rich gray-blue-brown-yellow mold covering the cheese with lots of mushroomy notes. To do that, you need A LOT of humidity so use the aging box and put it at about 54°F.

Otherwise, you can wash it with PLA, or a mix of B.Linen and cheese yeast (I don't remember if you had any) and geo.  From the cultures you said you have, the PC-VB and PC-SAM don't really work with Tomme. They are good for Camembert style and have short life. Geo is good for most cheeses but usually work with other moulds and not alone.  LBC is NOT a surface ripening culture. You add LBC to the milk when you make the cheese. It works like a starter culture in later stages and without actually effecting acidity.

By the way, you can help wild rind develop by placing the cheese on top of natural wood boards, hay or straw. Some wood will also transfer tannins to the cheese.

Does this give you as good direction?