Author Topic: My First Tomme  (Read 29649 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My First Tomme
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
You can still apply the mold to the outside of the cheese just to be safe.  I haven't applied it over ash, but I can't think why that would be a problem.

JeffHamm

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Used this to make grilled cheese sandwhiches today.  It melts beautifully.  My 5 year old daughter said "These are the best cheese sandwhiches in the world!", so I'm taking that as a positive :)  My daughter has one of the most sophisticated palettes for a 5 year old I've ever seen.  This has a definate washed rind taste (very good), though not as strong as some more intense makes it is not subtle either.  This make has been a really big hit.  Overly moist for a tomme, but a good cheese nonetheless.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2012, 04:20:54 AM »
Now there's a 5-year-old who obviously knows quality when she tastes it. Kudos to you for tweaking her cheese palate.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2012, 05:45:44 AM »
Thanks Boofer!  She's got a wide range of "likes" when it comes to food in general, which is great, but I'm amazed at what cheeses she eats and likes!  Blues and washed rinds are yummy, and she likes aged sharp cheddar, and bries and cams, etc.  And, she likes brussel sprouts (but so do I, so I think I know where she gets her food acceptance gene from! :) )

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
Give her time... I seem to remember my daughter didn't get picky until she was older.  Then she didn't like anything and now that she's an adult she misses all the cooking she turned her nose up at earlier!  Too bad children don't come with instruction manuals!

JeffHamm

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
LOL!  True, but I can dream.

JeffHamm

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
We finished the first half of this cheese, and I've "de-bagged" the second.  The rind firms up when it's out of the bag as it dries out a bit more, and so it's interesting to be back with the very soft version.  Anyway, made grilled cheese sandwhiches again at the inistance of my daughter (who has decided that grilled cheese sandwhiches are now a tradition on Saturdays). 

So, despite this not being true to form, it remains a very popular cheese.  Nice. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
That sounds like a wonderful tradition to me!  :P  It's amazing how many cheese's make meltingly, mouth watering, totally sinful grilled cheese sandwiches (even blues).  Glad your new style of cheese was a success. For your inventiveness have another slice of cheese.   :)

Tomer1

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2012, 09:32:31 PM »
I love grilled cheese on dry sourdough bread with some spread butter for extra crispiness.

anutcanfly

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
I've taken to brushing the sourdough (the chewier & crustier the better)with olive oil and crushed garlic, but sometimes only butter will do.  Is there life without sourdough, or grilled cheese?

bbracken677

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
Try adding some shaved ham to the grilled cheese....yum! Or I also like 2 different cheeses grilled.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 02:13:25 AM »
homemade bread and hard smoked/cured sausages go well with such cheese too
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:41:11 PM by Alpkäserei »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 05:06:15 AM »
Is it too late to join this party?  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 05:08:16 AM »
Never too late for photo's like that!  Yum!

anutcanfly

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
Easy with those photos! They're killing my waistline!  Is that your cheese with cumin Boofer?  How did you like it?