Author Topic: Maroilles Cheese Making Recipe > Fat in Dry Matter Discussion  (Read 4667 times)

knipknup

Has anyone had this cheese or made it?  I am intrigued but am coming up short finding a recipe.

http://www.frenchmoments.com/Maroilles.html

iratherfly

Re: Maroilles Cheese Making Recipe > Fat in Dry Matter Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
Mild, pleasent trappist cheese from Northern France, close to belgium. Casual table cheese, not too fancy. Minimum 45% fat in dry matter, aging regiment of 2-5 weeks depends on size. Initial yeasting and final cool aging like Reblochon. Relatively low salt, washed rind. Raw and pasteurized versions available. I would buy it regularly if it was offered in supermarkets here. Only had it once in France. It's a fun one.

knipknup

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »
Another good little ditty about it.  Still no recipe :(

"If you’re a cheese connoisseur and happen to find yourself either in the North of France or, if you’re lucky, a very good cheese shop in Paris, you must try the rare Maroilles cheese. (pronounced Mar Whahl) Don’t let the pungent aroma scare you off, as it did me the first few times I was presented this cheese. Once you taste it it’s creamy goodness (45% fat), you forget the overpowering smell."...

Read more here:
http://brandamp.com/brandamp_blog/?p=167

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:11 AM »
Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to scratch out a recipe. Sounds like Livarot, Taleggio, Epoisses-like, or any other small form factor, washed-rind, full-fat cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »
45% FDM is not a creamy cheese.  I'd have to use skim milk to get it that low in a cheese like this.  Whole milk gets me about 60-65%.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »
What milk is that? What process is that? Perhaps the definition of creamy is not the same for everyone?
Reblochon de Savoie is 45% FDM
Epoisse and Chaource are 45%-50% FDM
Tallegio is 48% FDM
Pont-l'Évêque is 40%-52% FDM
Brie de Meaux is 45% FDM
Camembert de Normandie is 45%-50% FDM
Munster is 45%-52% FDM
Vacherin Mont-d'Or is 45%-48% FDM

A small example and indeed not double/triple cremes, but -are these not creamy to you? Why not?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »
I guess I've lived in New Zealand too long.  Standard whole milk Protein:Fat is 0.68, double cream gets you about 0.53 and triples are 0.41.  0.7 and over requires using skim.  Any of these soft ripened cheeses, or even semi soft, are capturing about 95% of fat, 80% protein.  Obviously hard and cooked recipes like parm loose a lot more fat. 

"Creamy" cheeses in terms of sensory is actually a function of water content, not fat.  I can make a high fat cheese that isn't very creamy on your pallet unless I trade some of the protein for water.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:37:20 AM »
What milk is that? What process is that? Perhaps the definition of creamy is not the same for everyone?
Reblochon de Savoie is 45% FDM
Epoisse and Chaource are 45%-50% FDM
Tallegio is 48% FDM
Pont-l'Évêque is 40%-52% FDM
Brie de Meaux is 45% FDM
Camembert de Normandie is 45%-50% FDM
Munster is 45%-52% FDM
Vacherin Mont-d'Or is 45%-48% FDM

A small example and indeed not double/triple cremes, but -are these not creamy to you? Why not?
Does anyone else long to get in there and emulate one of the cheeses from this list?

They work for me, Yoav.

Francois, I will acknowledge that a "creamy" cheese has more moisture than a dry one.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »
Yea Francois. I was talking about cheese with creamy sensory which are far below the fat levels you mentioned. 

I agree, creamy is a texture and I think it's a function of moisture, as well as other sensory elements; proteolysis for suppleness of the pâté, Cremoris and Diacetylactis can really pump it up with butter notes. And as you say, all of this could happen even in cheese with far lower fat contents.  The fat to me, is more about developing flavor by ways of lipolysis.

I never know if you are in CT or NZ!

Boofer, which cheese will you take on? I'm game :)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 04:35:28 AM »
I use high fat for blues and cheeses I don't want to go liquid, otherwise it's not top of my mind.  I prefer whole milk curd, it jusy makes more sense to me when working with it.  High fat is so soft that there's a fine line between firm enough to hoop and too dry.  My comments are skewed toward ripened cheeses, as that's what I'm doing now.  I think I've even forgotten how to make hard cheeses, it's been so long.

I was in CT last year, but live full time in NZ these days.  Not sure the next time I'll be back.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Boofer, which cheese will you take on? I'm game :)
I've been thinking over the past year or so of an indulgent, creamy, stinky cheese that would fit into the holidays' extravagance. At this point, I'm still in a quandary over what to attempt. Give me a nudge.  :)  Quit pushing, george!

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
Quit pushing, george!

Wouldn't push if you didn't keep hoggin' the press.    A)

(How wonderful is this forum!  Usually it's "stop hoggin' the couch!")

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »
Hey, I thought you'd taken your ball and gone home.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
Nope - lost the ball at the same time as the marbles.   :o