Author Topic: Raclette Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 14278 times)

LadyLiberty

Raclette Cheese Making Recipe
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:58:31 PM »
Ok, a kind soul on this board shared a recipe with me for this amazing melting cheese... So i will share. I haven't made this yet, but will sometime in the future and will share my experience with it.

RACLETTE RECIPE

Level: Fairly difficult (requires considerable time)

Start to Finish
1/5 hours for heating and ripening
45-60 minutes for renneting and coagulation
1 hour for cooking the curds
1 hour for draining and setting
3 days for curing
2-4 months for aging

Best Uses
Good table and excellent melting cheese

Storage
Stores well for months when tightly wrapped and refrigerated, but dries out fairly quickly if not properly sealed.

Yield
2 pounds raclette

Ingredients
2 gallons whole cow's milk
¼ cup fresh or 1 teaspoon powdered, mesophillic starter
¾ teaspoon liquid rennet mixed with ¼ cool water
Salt brine: 4 cups salt in 1 gallon water
Bacterial linens

Tip:  Works best with raw milk that you pasteurize yourself. You will get a softer cheese from homogenized whole milk.

Note: It's important to refrain from heating either milk or curds too quickly here.  The cheese simply won't hold together if you rush.

Warm the milk for about 30 minutes in a double boiler until the temperature reaches 88° F. Slowly stir in the mesophilic starter culture, blending it well throughout the milk.  Cover and set aside to ripen for 1 hour.

Blend the rennet into the ripening milk.  Allow the rennet to work undisturbed for 1 hour, or until the curds show a clean break when tested with a knife.

Cut the curds into ¼-inch cubes and allow them to settle to the bottom of the pot, as the whey rises to the surface.

FOREWORKING AND COOKING THE CURDS

Before you begin foreworking – stirring the lukewarm curds before cooking – heat about 2 quarts of water to a temperature of 140° F. Maintain the water at this temperature for washing the curds later.

Slowly stir the curds with a large ladle or spoon. (This will dispel more of the moisture and prevent the curds from sticking together.)

Skim why from the surface of the curds with a measuring cup, keeping track of the amount as you go.  Replace the drained whey with an equal amount of the water you've preheated to 140° F, and gently stir the curds as you add the water, until the curds reach a temperature of 100° F.  Be sure the temperature doesn't rise above 100° F, or your cheese won't solidify properly.

Continue to stir the curds for another 30—45 minutes and 100° F until they firm up.  Then set the pot aside and allow the curds to rest for another 30 minutes.

Tilt the pot and carefully ladle or spoon the excess whey from the curds.  Then set the curds aside to acidify for 1 more hour.

In the meantime, prepare brine by blending 4 cups of salt into 1 gallon of slightly warm water in a large pot or stainless-steel basin.  Gently stir the solution for about 5 minutes before you allow the contents to settle.  You should be able to see a layer of salt at the bottom, which means that the water is completely salt saturated and ready for the freshly processed raclette.

Place the raclette in the brine and allow it to float for 12 hours, turning once after 6 hours of soaking.  Remove the cheese from the brine and pat dry with a clean cheesecloth or buttercloth.

Transfer the raclette to a rack or cheese mat and allow it to air dry for an hour.

CURING THE CHEESE

Add 1 teaspoon of bacterial linens to 1 quart of water, in an atomizer.  Shake well.  Spray all surfaced of the raclette and place it on the cheese mat or rack in the refrigerator or a cool room (55° F and 85% humidity).  Allow it to rest for 2 days, turning once each day.  On day 3, spray the cheese again.

You should now be able to detect a slight reddish-brown mold.  Allow the raclette to age for another 2 months, as it steeps with flavor and forms a natural rind.  If you prefer a cheese with a stronger flavor, give it an additional 2 months.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Raclette Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »
See that's why I sent it to you. I didn't want to type that entire thing out. Thanks for doing that.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »
See that's why I sent it to you. I didn't want to type that entire thing out. Thanks for doing that.

It really wasn't much trouble, I speed type.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:00:41 AM »
How many words per minute. I think I'm between 60-80. My friend who's an exprogrammer goes like 120.

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:57:53 AM »
Carter...
I'm a little confused here.
Lady Liberty said she got this recipe from a "kind soul" and you expect us to believe that you are the one that sent it to her?
Nice try, but I don't think any of us are falling for it. :-)
Btw, I once typed 98 adjusted words per minute (adjusted for mistakes) but I've slowed down considerably since then.
Not only am I older and slower but the wine definately takes it's toll on the accuracy aspect of my typing.
Oh well....
I'm not willing to give up my Pinot Noir or Cab for a few extra words per minute. I have nothing but time.

Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:04:09 AM »
Okay, I know Carter knows that my previous comment (the kind soul thing) was a joke but I think this needs to be said.....
I don't know that I've ever "met" anyone on a message board that is any more helpful than what Carter is.
He is always quick to offer advice. Always quick to help and always quick to share his expertise with anyone that asks.
I'm not one to hand out compliments on a whim but when they are warranted I have no problem in doing so.
Also, that goes for this board, as a whole.
John has mentioned several times that it's the members that make this board great and I have to agree with him.
You are all a very helpful bunch.

Dave

LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:11:01 AM »
Okay, I know Carter knows that my previous comment (the kind soul thing) was a joke but I think this needs to be said.....
I don't know that I've ever "met" anyone on a message board that is any more helpful than what Carter is.
He is always quick to offer advice. Always quick to help and always quick to share his expertise with anyone that asks.
I'm not one to hand out compliments on a whim but when they are warranted I have no problem in doing so.
Also, that goes for this board, as a whole.
John has mentioned several times that it's the members that make this board great and I have to agree with him.
You are all a very helpful bunch.

Dave

It was Carter.  He's a very sweet helpful guy, really.  I've been very enlightened on this board, it's really good to have found it.

Carter I don't know how fast I type per minute.  I type slower when I'm thinking about what to write.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:43:41 AM »
Well thank you for the compliments, they are appreciate.

As far as typing fast I have a switch in my head  when I turn it to the right a little to look at a page to type what's on it I can't ever type as well, it's weird. I have to look at the words as I'm typing. All I can say is I never really learned anything in school, not the shcools fault I just don't do well in those environments, but I did learn typing. I don't know where I'd be if I couldn't type fast. My GF pecks at the keyboard with 2 fingers on each side. It's actually entertaining to watch.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:04:57 AM »
Well thank you for the compliments, they are appreciate.

As far as typing fast I have a switch in my head  when I turn it to the right a little to look at a page to type what's on it I can't ever type as well, it's weird. I have to look at the words as I'm typing. All I can say is I never really learned anything in school, not the shcools fault I just don't do well in those environments, but I did learn typing. I don't know where I'd be if I couldn't type fast. My GF pecks at the keyboard with 2 fingers on each side. It's actually entertaining to watch.

Well to really go far afield here.... here we go again?

I took typing in high school but I had one of the prissiest teachers I could have ever nightmared so I flunked it.  I learned from a software typing program, and then got temp jobs and for awhile my speed really accelerated when I was a legal secretary.  Got good typing from the old dictaphone.  Hated the lawyers though.

I type really terribly if I look at my hands at this point.

So has anyone ever tried making raclette?

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
LL, yep had a very nice Raclette meal with another family after skiing in Faraya Ski Resort in Lebanon about 5-6 winters ago.

We shaved it off heated cheese and reheated on small cut in half potatoes befor eating if I remember correctly, was very expensive meal as 10 of us but then wine did flow!

Oh, you probably mean has anyone made it . . .

My picture below of main resort town in evening, OK off topic, sorry.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
Very cool picture..no pun intended.

Bella

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
I have a question about a minor detail in the recipe above as I intend to attempt to make this cheese tomorrow.

Before the cheese is placed in the brine, I presume it is hooped? Is it then pressed? If so, for how long? Overnight?

TIA
B

susanne

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
bella that is an excellent question and i asked it myself too.
the recipe above is from barbara ciletti's book   "Making great cheese at home" and originated from the wishy corporation's guidlines for raclette.
since nobody answered, i assume nobody tried to make it?????
i did. i might have done it a little bit difficult but wanted to adapt as close as possible. cooking the curds for one hour at 100F make them fairly firm and the cheese would not make a close rind if not put on light pressure.
after cooking the curds, i ladled them in a mold, lined with cheese cloth, that was sitting in a stock pot deep enough so the 100F whey would cover the curds for the final 30 min. resting time.
after that i took the mold with the curds out, follower on and put light pressure for about 30 min. got it out, redressed and pressed under light pressure for another 45 min. after that it went in the salt brine.
now we have to wait for the end result :) 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:08:56 PM by susanne »

Bella

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 04:07:17 AM »
Hi Suzanne
I have made four Raclettes to date using that recipe, and two have been eaten with two more still ripening.

For the first one, my French neighbour was really excited to have a raclette being made next door and we arranged a party with people from the street and he demonstrated to us all how to use a raclette machine. He loved the cheese, but felt it was a little oilier than the ones he was used to. (I used whole jersey raw milk). For the second one, he took the entire cheese and reported back that it was the best raclette he had ever had, even though that cheese was also made with whole raw milk. He commented that it wasn’t ‘oily’. The two cheeses that are ripening had some of the cream removed, so it remains to be seen whether the level of fat in the cheese is acceptable – he’ll probably want them as well!!!!!

So that recipe obviously will do the job!!!
B

susanne

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
oh that is great.
how did you do it? did you put it in a mold? pressed it? how long?
right now imine needs to age but it feels dry and does not has the elasticity i would expect.