Author Topic: First Post, and our first Manchego  (Read 1806 times)

jrhockey33

First Post, and our first Manchego
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »
The lady and I made our first Manchego! Prior to this, only have made a few Tomme's and mozzerella. Hybrid recipe between beverage people and Ricki Carroll. Question... Throughout her book of home cheese making she just refers to culture amounts as a packet for each recipe. My packets are huge and other recipes call for 1/4 tsp for gallon etc. What gives? Any advice on that would be great!

linuxboy

Re: First Post, and our first Manchego
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
Please read http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5691 and post any followup questions :)

Short answer: always use the bacteria number when determining amount to inoculate. NE Cheesemaking sells proprietary/mystery packets designed for their specific recipes.

jrhockey33

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Thank you! That is great info! I am guessing by the strong smell (good smell) this cheese has already that maybe I need to dial down the amount of culture or lipase next time!

jrhockey33

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
What is recommended for testing ph? Strips or something else? I have a digital one with a prob but not sure how you test ph of a curd with it or calibrate it? It is two years old so i am sure it needs calibrated!